Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to punctuate a list of questions

edited March 2017 in Writing
Any ideas how I should punctuate this? Question marks instead of commas or split to separate sentences?

All day she'd made the choices: where we went, which shops, in what order, what cloth, who would model the dress (her) and who would sew (me).

Comments

• I don't read that as a question so wouldn't add a question mark. You're stating facts.
  • Yep, it's not a question so no need for ? I like it how it is.
  • Fabulous, thanks.
  • I agree. If they were questions, the text would be:
    Where shall we go? Which shops shall we visit? etc.

You are just making a statement.
  • Yep - what they said.
  • ana, just a minor point, 'fabric' is a much nicer word for dress material than 'cloth'. Agreed that they're one and the same, but 'cloth' generally has cheaper connotations in the trade.
  • Not necessarily, PET. It depends on context. Cloth might be apt for the language.
  • To me fabric suggests a lightweight material, quite likely with a pattern. Cloth sounds as though it would be more more durable and heavier, such as tweed or denim.
  • Gawd, never occurred to me. It's wool so, going with PM's reasoning, especially since I've already pressed send.
  • i wouldn't call wool, fabric. Fabric sounds more like thick patterned material for curtains. I'd call it material.
  • Cloth: woven or felted fabric made from wool, cotton, or a similar fibre.
    "a broad piece of pleated cloth"

Fabric: cloth or material for making clothes, covering furniture, etc.: ... cotton fabrics. More examples. Linen is a coarse-grained fabric. The fibres are woven into fabric.
  • Blimey, poor Ana - it's not as if she even asked for a critique.
  • I'm a nervous wreck. Might never write again.
  • I'd have said fabric. Serves you right for asking on TB, ana - you should know us by now!
  • Lol!

Ana's writing is superb.

The trouble is you can say anything in about a gazillion ways...

And everyone has different associations.