Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in February 2019's Writing Magazines?

Who's in February 2019's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 3rd January so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN. 

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Comments

• Mine has just arrived but no free book with it as advertised on facebook!!!!
  • Mine's just arrived; no free book either.
  • edited January 2019
    Subscribers may need to ask for a copy?

Mine arrived today too.
  • Book's not available to subscribers. Lots of complaints on Facebook.
  • WM Facebook Post 10 hours ago:

" It appears we've had some confusion about this book's availability for subscribers. Unfortunately we can't get the right details online until Monday so please bear with us until then when we'll sort it out."
  • Is it a free book though?  Possibly the price will be more than usual, so it won't be free.

What is the book anyway?

• https://www.writers-online.co.uk/store/reader-offers/how-to-write-your-first-novel-lb-first-edition/?

Message on the WM Facebook page.

And we've got it sorted! This book, covermounted at newsstands only, is now available for subscribers as promised (you just have to pay postage). Please note, you have to be logged in to the site and have a current subscription to be able to claim your copy.

• There's also no Subscriber Only Competition. Has this finished now?
  • Probably not been updated yet...
  • Did anyone buy the 'free' book?
  • Nope. It wasn't that new. 
  • Really? It says on the WM website that it's a revised, new edition.
  • edited January 2019
    Not that recent according to Amazon.  2011 for the first version and 2014 for this offer's version.
  • Wow - naughty WM. A five year old revision could hardly by described as 'new'!
  • The reviews aren't shining. 
  • I have finally cancelled my subscription.
  • Have you? I should. 
  • The problem is that many books like these are only updated after a number of years and the latest version is old. Seems to be quite common in reference books.
  • Yes, but naughty to promote it as it was. 
  • Have you? I should. 
    I don't think I'm getting much out of it any more. It used to be good for info on competitions, but you can get those from the Internet. As to the 'how to' articles, I feel it's old ground. Plus, I don't really get round to reading them any more. I am sure I could use that subscription fee for a better purpose.
  • It's difficult. It needs to cover old ground regularly because there will always be new writers. I subscribe to another Warners mag - Family Tree. That seems to get the balance right. It's published every four weeks - which seems strange, but does offer good value. I used to have the Who Do You Think You Are? mag, but stopped it after the discounted trial. I also have the BBC's History magazine - subscribed to on impulse and cancelled after the second issue because I'd never looked at the first. They should stop sending that next month. Of course my Picture Postcard Monthly will always be welcome on my doormat. :)