Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Helpful keystrokes

edited July 2007 in - WM and WN


  • In a long thread about who's reading what, Viv said it took ages to scroll down it.  Tafetta Punk suggested the scroll bar, not the arrow keys (or side bar buttons).

    However, if you have a mouse with a wheel, you can use that, or better still, hold down CTRL and press the END key to get you to the end of the thread.  Then you can hold CTRL and press the HOME key to get you to the top.

    If you hold ALT-E (Menu EDIT function) then press F you can use the FIND feature, if you are looking for something in particluar.  You can also use CTRL-F to do the same (sometimes depends on the windows program)

    Try these - you might like them! :-)
  • there's lots more, too, like Control - N for new page in Word, Control- A for highlight All, Control U for Underline, it's worth trying the combinations just to see what is there.
  • Thanks for that useful info TwithH, and Dorothy.
  • In a Word document you can type a tick by holding down Control and hitting the Y. I discovered that by chance!

    I still don't know what it is I do (very occasionally) when I'm typing emails to make the words go backwards from right to left!
  • Thought I'd copy this from another thread.

    Just found WM Jan 2007 letter from Lesley Mason.

    Hold down the Ctrl key (and, if necessary, Shift) AND press:

    grave (like Italian caffe,)
    apostrophe for acute (like cafe)
    circumflex (like role)
    tilde (manana)
    colon for umlaut (like Bronte)
    comma for cedilla (French ca)
    Alt AND ? for upside down question mark

    Afterwards, type the actual letter e.g. e.

    Full list in World help, International Characters
  • ® = ( r ) = registered
    © = ( c ) = copyright

    Does anyone know the keystrokes for changing upper case into lower case? I think it's on our old computer, so it would take me ages to find it.
  • If you want to instantly hide what's on the screen from prying eyes (at work or home!):

    - hold down the 'Windows' key on your keyboard
    - press 'D'

    - all documents will be instantly minismised to your bottom tool bar (but not closed - you won't lose any work). Try it - it's magic!
  • What's the 'Windows' key? Does it have to be a capital 'D'?
  • Hi jay - sorry if I was ambiguous - the Windows key (on a standard MS keyboard) is the one with the Windows logo on it - looks a bit like a flag I always think. Does not need to be captial D - just the key itself will do the trick!
  • Hi JM
    I don't think there is a set shortcut to change case from lower to upper etc

    In word. Select the case to be changed.
    From the menu bar select; Format/Change Case
    A dialouge box will show giving you various options

    You can make your own using the macro facility
    Standby on that one
  • Well, I had never ever noticed that windows key before. You learn something new every day, and it works in a nanosecond too!
  • Hi JM
    never one to let one down if one can help

    Shortcut to change to uppercase
    Select text to change
    Select Ctrl+Shift+A

    Damn selected the wrong ones! Simple select Ctrl+Shift+A returns it to lower case
  • Managed to get into old computer. To change capitals into lower case,

    highlight text, press ‘shift’ and ‘F3’.
  • I assume that when you want to reverse these things you just press the same things again?
  • Replying this way 'cause I don't want to confuse myself

    To make your own shortcut keys in Word

    In the menu bar Select
    A dialogue box will appear
    Select Keyboard - at bottom of dialouge box next to the close key. Another dialogue box (Customize Keyboard) will appear.

    Select Format in the 'Categories' box
    All Caps will be highlited a preset shortcut appears in the 'Current Keys' box

    DO NOT change it, Delete it or try to select another function using the same shortcut. It won't accept it, or at least it shouldn't

    Still in Format now select BoldRun in the 'Commands', you will see that the 'Current Keys' box is empty. You can now create your own shortcut

    Tab or click into 'Press New Shortcut Key' and type your choice in there for example Ctrl+A you must always include the + sign between each key

    If after a while you decide you don't want it simply go back to Tools/Customize, navigate your way to it and select the shortcut you created and then select remove

    Hope that helps, just ask if you - or anybody - needs any more help
  • That's correct Carol
  • Does anyone remember how to do super/subscript - useful for H20 and 75 degrees?
  • Morning JM
    Yes I do but will take a short while to put into here as I can not get diagrams in, so bear with me and I will send details on how to do it and give you buttons to put into your menu bar for instant use
  • Hi, Pete. I'm not sure what you've got in mind, but a couple of keystrokes should do it. Can't remember what they are, though. Any scientists here?
  • Jay, I use Control K to change into upper case and reverse it too. One of my authors will start his new paragraphs that way, with a set of uppercase letters. They are not quite the same size as if you typed in upper case but it does the job.
  • Hi JM
    The only reason I asked to bear with me is that with any instructions I write, I make sure it all works before sending them. It makes it easier for the recepeint and doesn't make me look a fool.
    This will save you time and when done is only one command. This is to place a command key on your menu bar. You do not have to have any document open to do this

    Open Word and Select
    The ‘Customize’ dialogue box will show and should default to the ‘Commands Tab’ if it doesn’t select it

    ‘Format’ in the ‘Categories’ box
    On the right in the ‘Commands’ box scroll down until you see the words Superscript and Subscript.  To place these keys in your menu bar

    With the dialogue box open click and hold either of the commands and drag to where you want to place the command in the menu bar, once located  drop in place. Repeat the procedure for the other command.
    You can now simply select the text you want in Super or Sub and click the respective command button you have just placed in your menu bar and you can still alter the text size in the normal way.

    Reversing the procedure – If you decide you no longer need them
    Starting at; Tools/Customize.
    Click and hold the command button you wish to remove and simply drag n drop anywhere out of any menu bars you may have open

    Don’t worry you will not lose any of the commands for future use as these procedures be repeated as often as you wish with the same command button.
    Hope that helps
  • I've just had a look at 'HELP'. It says:

    superscript: PRESS CTRL + SHIFT + =

    subscript: PRESS CTRL + =

    Hope it works!
  • I found that myself didn't like that way as it can be hit n miss I find, plus I'm a lazy trout and like the shortcut way lol
  • To highlight/select what comes after the cursor, press SHIFT, CTRL and END.

    (I mistyped shift. I'll let you work out what I put.)
  • To type an apostrophe that would otherwise come out in the wrong direction, hold down control key and press apostrophe key twice.

    –‘ becomes –’ (hope that gets posted OK).
  • Just now, I pressed cntrl + shift + = and everything on screen enlarged, and every time you repeat this it enlarges more and more. I reversed it by substituting = for the dash (to the left of = on k board)
    when you say 'shift' do you mean the bar between alt and alt Gr? or the arrow key?
  • The bar is the space bar - shift key is the arrow on each side, one under the return key, the other under the caps lock key.  (I'm working with a Swiss keyboard at the moment, but I don't think a UK one is any different.)
  • Colon then close round bracket in Word gives you a smiley smiley.

    Colon then open round bracket in Word gives you a sad smiley.

    Doesn't seem to work on Talkback, though.

    Just let me check that here
    :)  
  • Jay, the smiley started life on text-based systems anyway, so just tilt your head to one side and it's still a smiley! :-)

    Many graphical packages recognise certain keystrokes and replace them with a small graphic instead so it's easier on the eye.
  • My copy of Word is in Spanish, but if you go to Insert and then click on Symbols you should get some interesting options which you can cut and paste such as:

    ♣ ♦ ♀ ♫

    And even a smiley face: ☺
  • See also the thread

    foreign accents
  • I am such a geek: I think this is the best talkback thread EVER.
  • If you type the whole of deja vu in word, you get the two accents. (I supposed that's what I should have done here.)
  • OK, Hickey? By the way, that's Word; and suppose.
  • Howard, how did you get that Smiley on here? I've tried and it just turns into a square. 
  • These are cut and pasted from word: ☺☻

    I hope they don't turn into squares now as I hit the 'submit reply' button!
  •  This is a sad face - not that you can tell, Howard because it's still a blooming square!
  • Hope this works. The + is merely ‘and’, not a keystroke.

     = : + ) Um ... it's a happy face.

     = : + ( And this is a sad one.

    © = ( + c + )

    ® = ( + r + )
  • These are from Word (choose symbols from the insert menu.)

    § ™  ▓ ☼ ♀ ♂ ♫ ╬ ∩ ∞ ⌂ ∆ Ω *
  • Can anyone remember how to do super and subscript?
  • yes, wait a moment ...
    Format/ Font / a menu comes up for super sub and all sorts.
  • Wow, sparkly text.
  • I just get all these signs and symbols from choosing INSERT on the menu and then select SYMBOL.  You can then choose from all the different font styles and wingdings.  Scroll down the little box which opens up and you can find all the accents and mathematical symbols
  • Betsie - I'm not sure what little box you mean.
Sign In or Register to comment.