Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Helpful keystrokes

2»

Comments

• Jay - One day Betsie was walking along the beach when she found an old, old bottle. She took off the lid and out sprang a genie who gave her a magic little box and inside were all the fonts and symbols (not to mention wingdings) that she would ever need.
  • Pandora's Box?
  • The internet is probably Pandora's Box.
  • Click on Insert.  Click on Symbol.  A window opens - use the scroll bar on the right of the window and you can select which symbol you want to insert.  If you click on the tab at the top of that window (special characters) you can get em-dash etc and lots of other stuff.  That's all assuming you are using Word
  • Either I'm being very thick or it's not on my version of Word.
  • if you have a document open, Jay, you can click on INSERT and then SYMBOL and a box comes up containing all sorts of wonderful things. I just did it. You need a document open first, though.
  • No problem with Insert or Symbol - I just can't find the foreign accents. Are they really there?
  • Yes, you just need to scroll down.  The accents are not there on their own.  You have to find an upper or lower case e.g. an e or a etc which has the accent you require.  e.g. an e with an acute as you would use in cafe.  Grave, acute, cedilla, umlaut etc are all there, also degree sign, fractions, and other maths symbols
  • €  Wow!, I've been wondering how to get the Euro symbol for bloody years. Great thread.
  • well done Marc - I hadn't thought of looking for that one
  • For everyone who gets confused when we mention Amazon or newspaper addresses:

highlight address (if you're not sure how to, just yell)

copy (under 'edit' or on RIGHT button of mouse)

go to address space and

paste (under 'edit' or on RIGHT button of mouse).
  • An even quicker way to do that Jay is to highlight the url in the thread,  then press ctrl + c, move the cursor to the address bar, then press ctrl + v - hey presto, it's copied!

Just love the ctrl + end shortcut that began this thread - so quick and easy!
  • edited January 2008
    A quick way of doing superscript is to lull Word into thinking you're typing a date. Once you have got 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th, add the letters you actually want to the superscript and remove the ones you don’t. I think it works. Just a pity you can't see it here.
  • I'm just trying something. I'm going to type this, press Post your comments, then press Back to Discussions before all the colour changes take place (they seem slow today). Will my item be posted or not?
  • I'll give you one guess.
  • your icon is back, Jay! See, I go to lunch, come back, everything changes ... and everything stays the same, too.
  • Plus ca change, in other words.
  • For smilies, see the following discussions:

WE HAVE SMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

Tips on new website
  • Tracy, this is the thread I mentioned.
  • That's brilliant Jay - thanks. That'll save me having to go into the French language dictionary just to get an accent or something. :)
  • Word also puts the accent on eclair - let's see if I can show you ...
  • Here you are, Lexia.
  • I read over this and I actually found it quite funny. Interesting, but funny.