Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Subscriptions

edited November 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Having complained a couple of months ago of how late my WM was, I was advised that they had been trying to use a Mastercard that expired some years ago to renew my subscription. Credit card statement arrived today - they had taken my subscription off twice!
    I phoned Subscriptions and got it sorted out very easily but took the chance also to raise the issue of why it appeared that shops were stocking the mag several days before my copy arrived.
    Apparently shops may be issued with the mag in advance but are prohibited from putting it on sale until ours should have been delivered. They would like to be informed if people are seeing it in shops before they receive their copy. (It was certainly on sale in Smiths this month well before my copy arrived.)
    December's copy is due to be posted on the 6th so should not appear in the shops on, or before, that date.
  • I took out a subscription earlier in the month and asked if I could begin with the December issue.

After quite some time I hadn't received it so chased.  I was told my subscription would begin with the January issue.

When I queried this, they confirmed it would actually be the December one.

Still waiting...
  • I don't know how they can stop the shops from putting their copies out as soon as they get them.  They should probably despatch a bit later to shops if they don't want that to happen.
  • To me, the idea of receiving a copy before it is available in a shop isn't a selling point.

It's just more convenient for me to receive it through the post.

Providing I do receive it, of course!
  • Yes, that's the appeal.  Just the convenience of having it arrive - especially living in the middle of nowhere as I do!
  • I know our W.H Smith's put magazines out in the morning, often as soon as they receive them, from what I was told when I asked last year about another magazine.
    We should all watch out to see if they are out in the shops before we receive our copies.
  • And then pounce!