Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Two nations ...

edited November 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Two nations …

Has anyone else experienced misunderstandings with American publishers?

I wrote a story about a hairdresser called Anthony. A puzzled American asked me why his partner kept yelling “Tone!” at him. I know Tony would be a more common abbreviation, but I suspect Americans pronounce the ‘th’ whereas we ignore the ‘h’ in Anthony.

In another short story, I said the children were going to have tea. “Do children usually drink tea?” queried another American. I had to explain about tea-time.

We went to America for a holiday in 1992. Some teenagers asked us the time, and I said: “Just after half past four.” This was greeted by baffled looks. Did they expect me to say four thirty-two?
  • not only with publishers, although that has happened, but my penfriend used to love (used to, she is no longer here not that we no longer write to one another) English diaries and then ask me all sorts of questions about the entries. I remember 'what's lighting up time?'
  • It may be a small world electronically, but culterally and verbally there's a big gap.
  • My husband maintains that we are culturally far closer to the Germans - despite the language barrier - than we are to Americans.
  • The American language evolved over time with contributions coming from a variety of nations who settled there. Think about English/Irish, German, Italian, Jewish/Yiddish. Language is never static and will contiue to change particulary with the movement of peoples across the world, an ever shrinking world. i can think of some Yiddish sayings that have become common use in both UK and USA.
    Kosher. legitimate
    Nosh.  as in food
    Shmeer, as in smear, creme chheese on a bagel.
    Bagel itself.
    Shtum,  to keep quiet.
    Snoz  nose
    Shmuck  unpleasant person
    Shpiel as in spiel - long speech
    Tochis or tush as in rear end
    There are lots more but they escape me. My life already!
  • How British is your English? Article in The Mail on Sunday 13th March 2011.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365751/How-British-English-Americanisms-ARENT-taking-language-research-shows.html
  • An interesting article. Thanks, Jay!
  • As most of my novel is based in America I've been asking an my son's American girlfriend to straighten out some of the differences. She must have got fed up with my questions as she bought me four American/English dictionaries and guides for my birthday. I little bit overkill I think but useful.
    Thanks for the link, Jay.