Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What is your aim?

edited May 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Do you want to have a book published? A good review of it? Fame &/or fortune? To be able to live off your writing? To see your novel in the bookshops?
  • Goodmorning Jay!
    Hmmm...a very good question. My aim would definitely be that some day I'm able to live off my writing. I feel a writer now, but when you haven't published yet, or people don't know your name, in THEIR eyes you're not a writer. So being able to say : I'm a full-time writer, would be fantastic. I wouldn't mind a good review, fame & fortune!! I mean, that would be the ulitmate proof that you're not the only one who thinks he can write.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • For us, its just to see our work, something that we actually done ourselves being bought, and all the positive feedback we get especially from children is great :O)

As a few may have read, we have big plans and to be honest we have never really thought of trying to emulate D Brown, JK Rowling and other well knowns, but if we were to hit a common nerve with the public for our characters and it all took off in a big way then that would be great, but we will still open up our bookshop and also, as planned, many more :O)

So for us we're in it for our art and business dreams :O)

Great question Jay :O)

Gary and Carol :O)
  • Hi Jay,

What started as an escape from the intolerable bickering and nagging of.... well you know (laughs insanely), has evolved into a wonderful past time.

At the tender age of 40 I now know what I want to do with my life, and that is to share human experiences with anyone wiling to listen. My work is, I suppose, a social comentary of sorts.

If I could eek out a living from it, I would be happy, anything else is a bonus.

I look forward to the day when I can have the last laugh at she who nagged and started me on this long and precarious path. Oh, to be a fly on the wall the day she finds out I'm published and earning (evil laugh).

Revenge is not the right motive I know, but it is sweet, and when the going gets tough, there is no better motivation.

Milhouse.
  • I've always wanted to write since I was small, and also it keeps me sane. I have so many things going round in my head that I need to get them down on paper. If someone paid for my work that would be wonderful, but it's unlikely to bring me fame and fortune, so if someone reads my words and enjoys them- that's wonderful.
    Of course I'd like to get novels published, but in the meantime I'll keep doing other things that will get read.
  • It's an interesting question Jay. I have the creative need others talk about; if I am not writing I am splashing oil paints over canvasses. I have an innate drive to do things and writing has always been my aim for retirement. I feel I have gained a wide undestanding of people from my work and by living in different places which I love to reflect on paper. I'm not especially motivated by money; like everyone I could do with a bit more, but I don't like what it does to people. Fame? No thank you, but recognition, yes. I'd love to see someone reading my book on a train and having a really good giggle. The ultimate challenge is one I have set myself; to write a book I am wholly satisfied with.
  • Forgot to mention, I was always the kid left at the back of the class to doodle on a piece of paper. Right from the very begining I was told that I was stupid. And if a kid is told that, then that's what he believes. They even tried to pup me in remedial school.

Needless to say,I never went. And as I grew up I learned the truth; there's no such word. As it turns out, I have an IQ of 156 - not bad for a divvy.

So, I suppose, in a way getting published is also my way of proving them all wrong, which I will do.

Milhouse.
  • Why do these people feel the need to label us as children? My english teacher told me I would never make anything of myself, that I was, well, quite simply dull. I showed him - gained a masters and now working toward a PhD - and making a reasonable living - in fact my history teacher met me a few years ago and was amazed at what I had achieved - and I don't think I've even started yet - so I guess my aim is to finally knuckle down to writing and make a living from it (one day).
  • I want to see my shiny new paperback on the shelf - heck, I'd even be thrilled to see it come up secondhand!
    The fame and fortune would be nice, but are incidental.
  • Before I started writing on a regular basis, it was my ambition to have a book published. Now that I know more about the writing business and the near impossibilty of doing that, I've downsized my aims. My first aim is to keep on writing every day. As a new writer,only been going 8 months, I feel quite surprised, shocked even, to find that I'm not sure what I want to write ie. which genre. I thought that I would write a novel but find that I'm drawn towards short stories, children's stories, and non-fiction bits and pieces, and I would like to try writing for radio too. There are so many things to try. It's made me realise what a huge learning curve I have to struggle with, and I wish that I had started years ago. Of course,ultimately, I do want to be published.I think that that must be every writer's ambition because a story needs an audience. I would be thrilled to think that people were reading and enjoying my work.As for the money... well, put it this way,I walked out of my boring dead-end job last August and I am currently living off my savings but there is a big black hole between the savings running out and the date when I can claim a pension so I NEED the money or it's back to the boring day job.
  • At the moment to keep the passion (and the courage!) for writing. Eventually, I'd like to have a collection of poems published, some about travel, people, landscape. I could go on and on about the possibilities. And I'd like a little bit of recognition as well.
  • I'd like people to read my work, of course.  Fame, as others have said, no thanks, but I would like to be recognised for my writing ("Oh, you're the woman who wrote blah-di-blah," etc).

I would like to make a living from my writing, but realise how hard that is, and will settle for publication, and being able to tell people I'm a writer of.... you get the picture.  ("Ooh, have you had anything published?" is not a question I encounter frequently, thankfully, but it has happened, and will no doubt happen again.)

To be as well recognised as, say, Michèle Roberts would be great.  (Who said "Who's she?" Grrr!)
  • I aim to make writing my career. I don't expect megabucks, and luckily I have a fella who could support me financially, but I refuse to give up the day job and sponge off him until I actually sell something. After that, of course, the spongeing can commence :D
  • My aim is to one day see people reading and enjoying my books.  I want to make people laugh and look forward to my next story. 

I want to make a living out of writing so I can spend all my time doing just that! 
  • I've wanted to write for as long as I can remember.  Like other talkbackers, my dream would be to walk into a bookshop and see my books for sale, and to sit on a train or plane and see others enjoying my book. It would be fantastic to see my book(s) turned into a screenplay(s) - I guess I could never dream by halves. :-)  So whilst fame is bottom of my list, I certainly wouldn't say no to the fortune!
  • My aim as a writer is to write good horror - the kind that makes people cringe and shudder and look behind their shoulders to see who or what is watching as they read.
    I would like to be as popular as Stephen King, as scary as James Herbet and as creepy as Dean Koontz for writing the same kind of things...
  • Jay, can I just tick all the above?  (Except the fame bit - it'd be great to have your name 'famous' as it were but I'd hate more than that.)
  • My aim:

To be the first writer to get a £5m advance for a first novel.

To win the booker prize with same novel.

To sell film rights, write screenplay and direct; oscars for best screenplay and best director.

To be acclaimed as the guy who made writing the new rock and roll.

To be briefly disgraced when photograped snorting coke from Kate Moss's naked body while being orally pleasured by Kylie.

To overcome this small obstacle and win the Nobel prize for literature.

To turn down a knighthood.

To get in a drunken fight with Chuck Pahlanuik and beat him senseless, shouting "How's THAT for fight club, chuckie-boy?" Preferably at a televised awards ceremony.

To serve a short term in prison.

To die prematurely in some bizarre but cool way.

To be regarded forever more as the James Dean of words.

You have to set your sights high!

PS Paul Bettany will play me in the movie of my life.
  • Had too much sun today Mike?
  • So where do these beauteous females hide during the rest of the year? If we males weren't rationed to such public exposure for the limited sunshine months, we would have a chance of becoming immune to the tantalising sights.
  • Too much sun?

Writers exist in a world of dreams - why shouldn't mine be grand?
  • If it was not for the dreamers we would all still be living in caves....
    Live your dream Mike, and never let any one take them away.

Milhouse.
  • I'm more into non-fiction, I write articles in the field of self-development and 'mind, body,spirit' areas. I am actively seeking new markets and new therapies to write about.

I am also busy promoting my website because my aim is to write at least two e-books which people can download from my site.

Keep dreaming Mike. You could also make a wish board and stick pictures of your dreams on there. You will get there. I find if I write down my goals and review them constantly they do come true.
  • Someone asked me a couple of years ago what my aim was. As I'd just told her that I'd had some books published, and one had been favourably reviewed by Gay Times, I was somewhat baffled by her question. But I suppose getting to Number 1 on Amazon.com's gay fiction list would be nice. And having a film or television serial made of one of my books/stories. And winning a writing prize. We can all dream ...
  • What is my aim?  Bad.

Mike, statement number 5 re: Kylie.  This confused me a little.  Does that mean you want her to read you a story?
  • I was just thinking again about fame &/or fortune, and found I'd already posted something.

So what would you choose: fame or fortune? Or neither?
  • I suppose I have achieved my aim in one way which was to write and finish a children's book. I self published it but it would be nice to have a book published by a well known publisher, so that is my next aim. Not because I want loads of money but just to know that I can do it.
  • katyanne, I'm in the process of publishing my children's book. What's yours about, how long ago since you published it, how did it go? I'm dying to know all this. You don't often meet self-published authors, and those you do meet seem to have written adult novels. :)
  • Fame - absolutely not. If achieving what I want, which is to be able to live off my writing, also means being famous then I may just have to give it all up.

Secretly want to see a book I have written in bookshops - no pic of me on back cover though.
  • Allie, Have a look at my profile and there is a link to my web site where you can see about my books.
  • I think I just want to write a book that people enjoyed reading.

As for fame, I would rather be known for academic research than as a celebrity author. 

I'm quite contented right now.  I have dreamt of going to University since I was 13, and teachers classed me as a 'struggler': leaving with three A-level grades of one D and two n's.  Now I have proved them wrong.

I would be quite happy to have a day job to support my writing.
  • Excellent topic for a thread. We can all learn a lot from each other.

My aim in writing my books is as follows...

I am definitely not interested in being famous. I would hate losing my anonymity in the street etc. I would not want the gutter press watching my every move and investigating my sex-life. The whole caboodle seems like a total nightmare to me.

I am not motivated by making money, though its lovely to get book orders, because that proves that people want to read what I have written.

It's nice to see the online bank account grow, but it's just numbers on a screen that tell me that I have enough to print my next book. I made this rule that my little publishing business must be entirely self-supporting, and it always has been, though 13 books now. I don't need to make a living from writing as I have income from elsewhere.

I love getting good reviews. To submit your work to people with PhDs and the like who have read thousands of books written by eminent experts is really, really scary. You know they are casting a critical eye and you do feel a bit trembly and sick in the stomach as you search though the publication looking for the review.

When it is favourable I always weep (silly old cow). I think it is partly through relief, and partly because I am so happy that my humble offerings have "passed muster" with those I consider as high above me in knowledge and intelligence.

Regarding seeing your book in the bookshops, the first time I was jsut overwhelmed with happiness, and also a bit shy and self-conscious. However, what has happened over the years, rather sadly I think, is that I feel absolutely nothing, zilch, nowt, when I see my books on the bookshop shelves. I miss that old thrill I used to get. R.I.P. The last thrill of pleasure I got was in the Women's Library in Whitechapel. While there on another matter I checked that they had a copy of my book in stock and it was not on the shelves. On my way to the desk to remedy this I saw it on a special display stand, on a bookstand, upright, with a big sign next to it saying: Book of the Month. I just beamed. Of course, none of the many readers sitting around knew it was me, or I would have gone rather red I think.

My basic aims are: I want to contribute to women's history. I want to tell the untold stories. I want to celebrate the achievements of women who have largely been forgotten, whose names are buried in the veil of history.

I want people to know how ordinary local working class women lived in the Victorian period. Much of what I do is revisionary: I would not have needed to do it if we'd been taught women's history at school, or if women's lives had not been buried underneath those of men.

I want councils and English Heritage and others who run Blue Plaque schemes to know the names of women who should perhaps be honoured (about 90% of Blue Plaques are for men).

I want to surprise people, because they have been told that women didn't do much except stay at home and have babies, until the 20th century. This simply isn't true.

I want to tell the story of women's emancipation, of women's struggle for educational, legal, social and employmental equality with men.

I want to tell the story of those who struggled against sex-prejudice and endless obstacles and barriers to become the first women in their profession.

I want to produce work that I am proud of, and I want to feel that I have contributed something to women, to history, to culture, to the world. I don't think I could do that working on the till at Tesco's.

Helena
  • in reply to jays question:  all of the above would be just fine thanks.  i'm not greedy!

i would just like to see something i had written in a shop and be able to pick it up look at the cover and be thrown out for vandalism!
  • Why would you be thrown out? I must be dim because I cannot understand .... duh!
  • Perhaps it's something like the library boys. Let me just find their names. Halliwell and Orwell? Orville? Orton. That's it.
  • Helen, I think Amanda is referring to the Stephen King incident in Australia, reported on a few days ago- one of my threads. Try putting Stephen King in the search box and it should come up.
  • I share one of Mike's aims - surprisingly it's not the one about Kylie & Kate Moss! but I have always wondered what it's like to serve term in prison. My next novel is about a woman who has just come out of jail and although I've read plenty of accounts and talked to people who have been through this experience, I guess it's not the same as having lived through it yourself. I would love to have a tour of Holloway or Durham -maybe I'll have to apply to be a prison inspector.

If any Talkbackers have had this experience and would like to share any aspects of it with me in total confidence, please contact me via Webbo.

Luv Kaz

P.S. Careful what we wish for, eh Mike?
  • Kaz, I'm acquainted with someone who has spent time in prison. No need to mention what for but his explanation of what it was like was...Just like public school except I was allowed to smoke.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a normal reaction though.
  • I know that some women are put through an emotional hell in prison (some people may say it's rightly deserved, but I'm not one of them). From what I can gather, women are made an example of in terms of the sentences they receive for things like credit card fraud - OK so they've done wrong, but it's hardly comparable with murdering somebody.

The point is that when men go to prison, you often find that the family unit stays together, but when women get separated from their kids - well it's a different story. I know I'm generalising and I've probably watched too much Bad Girls for my own good, but I'd love to know more about what these women go through.

Luv Kaz
  • Kaz, it's fair to say that women get a double whammy in terms of punishment, one for the crime and another for being a woman committing crime in the first palce. (how dare they). I work with prisoners and ex-prisoners. I'm afraid it's not like public school at all. It is hard for most and eventually it wears down the more seasoned offenders. 'Bad Girls' is actually a fair reflection of prison life for women whereas Porridge isn't. Prison regime is tough, you do what you are told when the system says you must do it. Eat, sleep, take recreation, and work etc. I go to many prisons and I am always grateful I can walk out the gate.
  • Try being a conscript. You have all the same restrictions plus omeon trying to kill you!
  • Thanks for that, Marc B. Your work must be extremely consuming - I think if I was a probation officer I'd worry about becoming too emotionally involved with some of the clients. I'd definitely find it hard to switch off at the end of the day.
  • There are a couple of similar threads, but I thought newcomers might like to contribute.
  • This is an interesting thread.  My immediate aim is to get some sort of response from my publisher - he has got very bad at communicating recently. Anything would do: email, message on the answer machine, postcard, carrier pigeon.  Just so I know they're still alive and still intending to publish my latest book.  Long term writing aim is to be able to keep writing and maybe have a children's book published every couple of years or so.  I'd like to see my books in bookshops instead of just being available through schools.  That would be nice.  I'd like to earn more money from writing, but not necessarily a salary on which to live.
  • My aim when I started out 6 years ago was to sell enough articles each year to pay for a 2-week trip overseas.
    That hasn't worked out (by a long shot!).
    It's more like "pay for a trip every 3 years".
    My aim today is to find out ways to crack the better-paying markets consistently and earn enough for that trip every year. But I am probably still being unrealistic.
    ON top of this, now I'm trying to write a novel... which takes away from the time needed to write and sell those articles... so I am probably going to be further off my goal then ever.
  • Caught onto this a tad late.  Kaz, I went to Holloway whaen I applied to be a prison officer.  I passed all the tests etc. but that experience told me that it was one job I could not do and turned them down.  They were not very happy!

My aim is to see with my own eyes people reading my book and to enjoy the anonimity that they don't realise they are so close to the author.

Actually, just getting published would do it for me!
  • ok I lied above (or rather, told only half the truth). If I really only wrote for money, then I wouldn't write at all. I'd do something more profitable, like typing or working as a cashier in a coffee shop. My other "aim" in writing is to share my ideas and impressions with other people; to make them more excited about things that excite them already perhaps (art, nature, the past); to bring something beautiful into the world that wasn't there before. etc etc
  • My aim is almost identical to Mad Doctor Dribble's. I'd love for people to enjoy my work and I suppose, to develop some kind of following. Cooper, I'd be really interested to hear about your training in Holloway, as my second novel is about a woman who has just left prison. If anyone has experience of prison life (either side of the bars!) I'd be so grateful to hear about it. Please feel free to email me directly.

Luv to all.

Kaz