Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Adjective issue

Comments

• Hi guys! I have an excercise for my homework and I'm struggling. I need to write a 200 word piece about a house, using only ONE adjective and no adverbs. I have no idea how to start this off. Any ideas? Thanks!!
  • If I tried to do this avoiding adjectives/adverbs as I went along I would really struggle, so I would start writing as normal, ignoring the restrictions. Then go back through and wherever you have an adjective or adverb try and replace the adjective+noun or adverb+verb with just one, better noun or verb.
    e.g.
    big house = mansion
    slowly walking = rambling.
    Then worry about the word count at the end!
  • That sounds like a very good suggestion to me.
  • Sound advice there heather, thanks.
  • You can choose how you deal with the house too, MM. A straight description of what is downstairs and upstairs, or its situation in surroundings, or who is living there or what happens there. Choosing an ordinary common house would be easier to avoid adjectives.
  • Er ... she asked back in 2007.
  • It was me raised this post as it had something about adjectives/adverbs in it. I wanted to thank heather.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • Well, it was very kind of you to do so, dora!