Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Colin Firth on BBC2 tonight

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Colin Firth is on BBC2 tonight at 9 c'clock in The Importance of Being Earnest.

You can have Colin - I'll have Rupert!
  • Handbags at dawn then.
  • "In a handbag?"
  • Thanks Jay, for ruining my day! I live in Teutonia,I can`t get BBC TV and The Importance of Being Ernest is one of my favourite plays. PLUS Colin Firth - boooohoooo!!!!

Has anyone told Island Girl yet?
  • Sorry, Jany. If it helps, yesterday's - one day, as it were - of sunshine seems to have disappeared.
  • Not his best performance, but who cares, it's Colin Firth!
  • I keep using E(a)rnest for elderly gentlemen in my stories, but I always have to check I'm spelling it right.
  • Never mind about Colin Firth, who's playing Lady Bracknell?
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=today&service_id=4224&filename=20070826/20070826_2100_4224_29193_90

Judi Dench and Reece Witherspoon are in it. See above for details.
  • This rings a bell. I've seen Dame Jude play Lady B. twice: once on stage and once on film. I wasn't very impressed. Tonight's version is the same film. I have it on DVD. It's quite a few years old. But for 'Importance' fanatics well worth a watch.
  • Was it Hermione Baddeley or something years ago?
  • Wrong again! Dame Edith Evans and Margaret Rutherford.
  • Yes, that's the definitive film: the Dame playing Lady Bracknell and Margaret Rutherford playing Miss Prism. Anna Massey in tonight's film does a very good Miss Prism.
  • Aw, don't tease! Actually I have TIOBE on dvd and also had a lovely dose of Col-baby on the telly last night watching 'Bridget Jones - Edge of Reason'. Mmmmm
  • Howl!!! Jealousy....%&$/(?§$"!!!
  • He's the one in the woolly jumper, isn't he?

What annoyed me about the film was that they showed her parents' house twice at Christmas - and on both occasions it was snowing (not showing - too much wine?).
  • thanks for this! I've just turned over and they're at the cucumber sandwiches. One of my fave plays as well. And Alys loves Colin.
  • I actually prefer his younger brother, Jonathan.  A fact I was reminded of whilst watching Midsomer Murders a couple of days ago as he was in the very first one.  I think he's prettier than his brother.

As for Rupert, well what can you say - I've been in love with him as long as I can remember!!!
  • ^^ and he's in Stardust!!!
  • Yes, Jay - he´s the one in the cute, cuddly woolly jumper. Becomes him almost as good as soft, sexy velvet....
  • Which Rupert are you on about, Jay?  My son's Rupert and we can't be having that.  One thing, you're far too old for him.  Second, he's got a current boyfriend, John the hairdresser (he's ok as long as you are talking about hair!)
  • You're ruel, TT, too ruel. What's age got to do with love? Anyway, Teasy Weasy an have him. I've got Everett!
  • :)  You are simply too wonderful to be here at times, Jay!
  • Your poor keyboard... shame you can't now write the C word!
  • There was a joke ... I didn't know if I dared use it ... and I've forgotten to write it down. (Actually, it's based on something from 'All About Sex', plug-plug.) Now let's get it straight, if you see what I mean.

"You are the absolute unt
  • of the litter."

My r's gone, too. Shame. I used to have a nice-
  • No, Webbo, no! I promise I'll be good! Anyway, it's nine o'clock.

Night-night, John-Boy.
  • Just shake your keyboard out, *lean it, or buy a new one.  They don't *ost a fortune, do they?
  • So it`s `olin Firth now, is it? Well, as the bard said: " a rose by any other name..."
  • Colin Firth stars in 'Girl With A Pearl Earring' on BBC2 at 9pm on Tuesday 7th July 2009.
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/jul/05/colin-firth-g8-africa
  • edited July 2009
    So who's it going to be Tuesday night - Firth or Barrowman?
  • Firth gets my vote.
    Barrowman irritates me.
  • Oh yeah, definatly Firth. I'm with KJ, Barrowman annoys me. Not that I'd be watching anything...
  • There's no contest is there, Probie?
  • Well...out of them two? Nah.

But place them with Mark Harmon, David Caruso and Micheal Weatherly....
  • Well I've seen the film before- so it will be Torchwood in our house.
  • Amazingly, I hadn't seen Girl With A Pearl Earring before, but I loved it. I adore films where every scene is a work of art - The Duellists, Draughtsman's Contract, Barry Lindon...

I did think they cut the story short though - [don't read this if you're about to watch it] - didn't Griet's brother die of the plague? Didn't she sleep with Vermeer and marry Peter knowing she was preggas?

Anyway, back to the CF reference, I thought Col was great in GWAPE, enigmatic, strong, gentle yet passionate. And was he wearing brown contacts? I'm sure his eyes are usually blue?