Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Monthly Writing Competitions

edited August 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Does anyone know the average number of submissions to the WM/WN short story competitions?

Also how many months it takes for a competition to be judged and the results published? (e.g. Jan competition, results published in May)
  • Last year I entered the new subscribers comp and got shortlisted, the only reason I found out it had been shortlisted is a friend phoned me to tell me she had seen it in WN.  I had completely forgotten I had even entered it!!  Don't expect a quick response.
  • Since the magazines split from the DSJT Trust and set up their own competitions programme we are promised much shorter timescales, as well as cheaper entry fees. Closing dates are shorter now and results are known within a few months. September's competitions for example now close in mid October with winners notified within 2 months of closing. It used to take much much longer (up to a year from the comp being publicised to the winning entry being published sometimes) so it was easy to forget you had entered. You never get told if you have been shortlisted - you just have to look for your name in the mag. Only winners get contacted. No idea how many entries they get but I would assume it varies enormously depending on the set theme and the size of the prize!