Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

edited July 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Hi everyone
    Just a thought; how would everyone feel if they had the abality to put an avatar in the personal profile?
    It would of course be a preferential field, could be fun

For those who don't know what an avatar is. It is a picture of yourself, iether a genuine one or a charicature of yourself or your favourite hero/heroin

I have asked webbo if this could be possible
  • I would like it I have one on another sight which is much more fun. I'd of course choose a butterfly...hmmm wonder why?
    It would also be great to be able to add pictures to show certain things. Can we do that too?
  • What did Webbo say?

I'd like smilies. Sometimes it's helpful to punctuate a sentence with a smile or a frown.
  • Ohh smilies, avatars, pictures - sounds like heaven to me!!!
  • A penguin.
  • What the chocolate type or the frozen type - I mean the ones that slide about on the ice!!
  • Naaah - I can manage without all the gimmicky stuff.  Let's stick to writing.
  • The animal type of course. But I agree Betsie we don't need it.
  • Not had a reply yet Isabellaking. If I don't hear from him by end of week i will contact him again

thanks for the replies. keep 'em coming, the more the better the chance webbo may werll let us
  • we might not need it but it would be nice.
  • I think choice of avatars and the suchlike tell you quite a bit about the person posting, and the smilies help avoid misunderstandings.
  • Avatars make it quicker and easier to distinguish who's talking, so - yes please! Smilies get a bit annoying when overused (as they usually are).
  • I always like to see photos of Talkbackers in WN magazine etc but I'm happier with just words on the threads. 
  • However, I do quite like it when you see a list of members connected at any given time.
  • Webbo is busy with other things beside Talkback, so I'd give him some time to get back to you IT. You're not being ignored, but such a change isn't high priority- like keeping things going is.
  • Thanks Carol.
    Didn't think for one second I would be ignored, I should have thought of that myself really. I will wait for a reply from him, and let you know the result
  • A picture of me? Are you crazy? You would be if you saw my mug!!!!!
  • I have a picture of my motorbike as an avatar on most sites! Much prettier than one of me!
  • too true writeabilty.
  • The word avatars looked like the answer to a clue about "immortal beings" in a recent crossword, so I checked the definition. It can be:

1.  The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.

2.  An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.

3.  A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

[Sanskrit avatāraḥ, descent (of a deity from heaven), avatar : ava, down + tarati, he crosses.]

I wonder who chose it for its current purpose.
  • Not me, Jenny.
  • Not Guilty your honourship
  • Someone did it! Hands up ...