Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in July's magazines, due out tomorrow?

edited June 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in July's magazines, due out tomorrow? You may not get your copy until at least Saturday or Monday, so no need to panic until then.

Please mention yourself, but let other people find out if they are in the magazines.

I'm a day early this month, as I've got a blood test tomorrow - I've spent a lot of time recently on the sofa, which is why I haven't posted much.
  • Hope you're ok, Jay. Your pointers about how you got famous people to endorse your novels really helped me.

Take care,

Luv Kaz
  • P.S. No ideas who's in the mag - sorry. I know it's not me, but I'm working on it!!
  • I might be, letter about Talkback resulting from my feelings over Bad Vibes, wait and see ...
  • Probably not me but I think I read somewhere that runners ups in story competitions sometimes don't find out until they actually see it in the magazine so I'm living in hope.
  • That's what happened to me when I was a runner up in the 'first line' comp last year, Zoe. I didn't know until I got the magazine. BTW the story went on to sell to The Weekly News, so it's always worth sending those stories back out.
  • You seem to have a lot of success with The Weekly News Sally - whats the secret?
  • (Jay, hope your blood is willing to cooperate tomorrow!)
  • Jay - Can we mention other people after a few days if they haven't said they've seen their names in WN or WM?
  • Better check with the Australians!
  • I honestly don't know, Zoe, otherwise I'd be doing it more often ;-)

Seriously, I think I was lucky to get in when an editor covering someones' maternity leave was giving a chance to new(ish) writers and now they know me and seem to like my style. But they still don't take everything I send (not that I'm complaining).
  • If we knew who in Australia will have to be waiting for a long time to see an issue, then they might want to know now.
    Tell us please.
  • OK Australians (and anyone else who has to wait ages for the magazines) - it's up to you! Do you want to know if you're in??!!!
  • Haven't had even a snippet of it through my letterbox so I'm no help, I'm afraid :O( 
  • Nor me!
  • Just realised Jay said it isn't due until tomorrow!!
  • Such dedication Jay,

Struggling off your sick(bed) settee to keep the tradition alive.

I trust you will be sharing news of your medical check with us?
  • Thanks, folks. The blood test's at ten, and I can't eat until it's over (12 hours). Will let you know, but I don't think I'll get the results until next week.
  • I emailed a couple of letters, they're in the pipeline, don't know when they'll be published though. If you happen to see one under the name of Nola W from Australia, can you let me know? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Jay, I hope the blood test goes okay. I've had to have a few myself lately, including a fasting one yesterday. Do what I did and treat yourself to a nice hot ham and mozzarella cheese baguette as soon as it's all over. :-)
  • The magazines have just arrived. No time to read them.
  • I'm mentioned as a runner up in the Ill Winds comp! The same story, called Storm Chaser, is with DC Thomson central fiction department now so let's hope that they like it too!
  • Congratulations, SallyQ!
  • Whoo!  that's cheered me!  Star Letter in WN!
  • Congratulations SallyQ and DorothyD!
  • SallyQ, well done!  I've not written short stories for a long time, I remember how satisfying they were to write.  Keep it going!!!
  • well done everyone.  i cant wait until i get my copy although its bound not to come for the weekend!  jay, i hope your blood test went ok. take care.
  • Excellent letter, Dorothy. It can apply to so many writers forums and it's a sad fact of internet life that there's always someone who'll join a successful forum then immediately start telling people how they think it *should* be run.
  • I can't believe it - mine arrived today. I only received June's less than two weeks ago.

Great letter Dorothyd. You expressed everyone's feelings perfectly.

I've only skimmed the mags so far, but there's a mention about the high proportion of CWA Debut Dagger entrants that were WN & WM readers.
  • Well done, Dorothy and Sally. Blood test results next week. Blood pressure OK. Am having trouble posting this - won't accept it.
  • Mine was waiting when I got back from shopping.
    Congratulations Dorothy, I agree it was very well expressed and summed up the general reality of the forum.
    Congrats to any others in this month's mag's.
    Hope you are okay now you've been able to eat Jay. Fasting blood tests are hell.
  • Mine arrived today - well done everyone who has a mention
  • Just received my Writers' News today. I was pleased to see my letter printed about attending a Writers' Workshop at Manchester University.

Jay I hope you got on OK with the blood test.

First time for me on these boards.
  • Welcome Beryl, and well done.
  • Beryl, welcome to the madhouse and well done!
  • Thank you.
  • Good letter Dorothy/d. Well done. I don't know why the sort of people you wrote about don't simply move quietly on, instead of making bigger fools of themselves by writing about it on here.

On page five there's a photo and article about someone else who seems to have given us the heave ho!

Congrats also to those others mentioned in the current issue: quite a batch this month. Is SallyQ (Sally Quilby) the same SQ that made quite a contribution on a BBC site a couple of years ago when the BBC Get Writing site was being closed down. I think she is.

Hope Jay is feeling better.
  • Close Neil ;-) It's Sally Quilford, but yes I used to haunt the Get Writing forum a few years back. What was your username?
  • Lily, Helen and I (all short story winners) in WM were pictured with those at the prize giving, not bad pictures P14 and Helen and I with others in the WN part of an advertisment. I'd love to see the other pictures they took. I wonder if they'll put any on line?
    Well done dorothyd and SallyQ. Well done to everyone in the pictures and anywhere else in either magazine.
  • I don't have my copy yet, but I'm looking forward to reading your letter Dorothy.

Which means between the two of us, we have had a letter published about Talkback over the last two issues.  Not bad going I think!.

Question is, do you think HW will think it is an attack on herself?.
  • Dorothy, VERY WELL PUT! I totally agree with you. Well done. (:
  • I mentioned Bad Vibes as the reason for the letter, which he/she was.
  • I was shortlisted in the Debt competition, really pleased with that :-)

And that one's also with DC Thomson central fiction ... so fingers crossed!
  • I've just read your letter, Dorothy. You deserved the prize because you've probably attracted more people to Talkback.
  • Well done Ali.
  • Well done everyone. I haven't had a chance to read anything yet but I'm back off to bed once the coffee has brewed with the magazines and a steaming mug of coffee for an hour or two.
  • Great letter, Dorothy.  Good luck with your blood test, Jay.
  • Well done and good luck with DC Thomson, Ali!
  • For Dorothyd - Adding my congratulations to those already received from other Talkbackers - superb letter. Well done.
  • Thanks Carol, and thanks SallyQ -- good luck to you as well! :-)