Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WM Competition

edited June 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Hello all, wonder if anyone can help me,
    I entered the Railway Ghost short story comp in WM, and sent a SAE for its return.  I don't expect it to be successful, but wondered when people are informed if they have won, or when I might expect my story back?
  • Well mine came back weeks ago. Usually, if you are not shortlisted or a winner, stories get returned within about two weeks of the closing date.
    In the old days, if you were shortlisted, you would get a letter from Richard Bell with your returned story, though they seem to have stopped doing this now so you don't find out until the winning story is published.
    The rules state that winners will be notified within two months of the closing date, but in my experience notifications don't normally take that long.
    All I can conclude from that is that EITHER your story has got lost in the post in one direction or the other OR you have won a prize and will hear very shortly.
    As it happens I am in the same situation with the Writers' News Opening Line story which had the same closing date.
  • Thanks very much for your reply - I'm a born pessimist, so I'll go with the lost in post theory!!