Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sending sae with competition entries

Comments

• I'm entering one of the writing competitions in WM.  It says to provide an sae.  As I have the original in MS Word I don't need the copy back.  However, if it will be critiqued then I'd like to see what I'm doing wrong.  Does anyone here know whether the judging panel makes notes or comments on the work that are worth having back?

Thanks in advance. TWH
  • Sometimes they do but not very often. They sometimes have what they call 'clinics' in there mags, certainly in Art and Photography mags.
    Having said that they must have a reason for requesting a sae, so as it forms part of the comp. rules to avoid rejection before they even see it, compliance with the comp. rules carries just as much weight as the entry itself. You must enclose the sae
    Good Luck, let us all know how you get on
  • Thanks, IT. It's not part of the rules, being purely optional, but I'll do it this once to see what gives.

Thanks for the swift response. TWH
  • The sae is purely for the return of your manuscript if you want it back. You are very unlikely to get any comments or feedback. As you say, who needs a ms back these days when it's easier and cheaper to print another one from the pc?
  • I wish women's magazine editors wouldn't insist on an s.a.e. Perhaps it's just to save them postage on the rejection slips!