Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Books For sale in here.

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Following the Post from Ana I wondered just how many Authors , especially self published authors, are members of talk back. All those that this applies to please put your hand up. Is it possible to list and sell your books through here?
  • I don't see why you couldn't list your book's details on your profile.  Most people announce that their book is being published.  I wouldn't mind, but as long as it isn't a newbie who has come to sell a few copies and then disappear again.

I don't know if others would react differently.
  • To clarify the post, I dont have a book to sell. It occured to me though that others might so why not offer them for sale in here.
  • Author, but not self-published. Some kind people on Talkback have purchased my books - and they've even enjoyed them!
  • It's quite simple to go to Amazon with a title and author to purchase something talked about here.  If you look on the youwriteon.com thread a lot of people of gone from here to that website to specifically read talkbackers work.
  • I’ll kick off here, if I may. It’s not self-published but it is a small press which means I’m doing a lot of publicity myself. I’m one author in an anthology of seven. Details on my website at http://www.josiehenley.net/seven_days.html

Can be ordered online directly from the publishers, and through Amazon, WHSmith and Waterstones and also found in some branches of Waterstones.
  • Thank you Josie thats what I am looking for. i know I can buy at Amazon but why not buy directly
  • I agree with buying directly from the author, then you sell at cost price and keep the rest.  But if we had a book shop (outside of bookshelf) then WN would take a slice.
  • That has got to be a lot smaller slice than the likes of Amazon. If need be our own market place can be set which we regulate ourselves
  • Morning All,

I do not wish to be a grouch but do feel caution should be voiced on this, seemingly, good idea.

Promoting one's work is straightforward but to actually market products would appear contrary to the website's "Acceptable Use Policy".

Considering recent events with helpful contributors wishing to dictate the correct means of presenting the written word, there is great risk that any form of Talkback bazaar could attract or abuse genuine intent.
  • Okay, enough said, good idea, wrong method , back to the drawing board,
  • Good points made here.  Still, I can barely think straight.  Woke up and within half an hour was faffing about with idea I had in the night for a solution to draft problem. 

The thing I DO very much like about WN, though, and semi-linked to this question, is that mention of other useful websites for writers/readers is positively encouraged.  As they are in the magazine.  Like any other useful media or forum.

If I'd had to sell individual copies of magazines my stories appeared in, I'd have had a very confusing time of it.  I'm a writer and whilst I can offer a great line in customer-service, sorry but that's why the publishers and marketers are there for us.  I hope.  Otherwise, just pass the postage-stamps in about 2 years' time!
  • PS But mention of our books, stories, poems, articles and where we can find them all is always welcome news to me.  I've bought a few Talkbackers' books.  For one thing, they show me what can be achieved whilst I'm writing mine and therefore give so much encouragement.  Another reason I love the success stories.  Always pleased for the writer and they give me yet more hope.
  • Webbo is kind enough to include details of self-published books, the details of which can be obtained from our website, which can also be found in our profile.  I didn't put mine on Amazon as, alas, my printers obtained the ISBN number for me (I know better now), and I found that any orders sent there were ignored.  My second order from them included an imprint and website names, thus enabling orders  to come to me.  Unfortunately, just after The Find came out I was very ill and could not publicise and market it as I had planned.  In any case, I  gave an awful lot of copies away.     
  • Note of caution here, unless you are a famous writer the publisher will probably give you very little marketing support.

Magazines already have a well defined market base and they know how many they will sell and how.  A book (especially fiction) is much more riskier.  Little marketing and high risk means the author has to get out there and sell.  That goes for published or self-published.
  • What I'd really be interested in is a thread on self-publishing, talking about the whole thing from start to finish. Are there members who have gone through the whole process? I'm new and haven't look back at older threads yet.
  • don't I know it, Stirling. Being published in a 'traditional' way isn't about sitting back on your laurels and waiting for the money to pour in. Watched the Beatrix Potter biopic with Bridget Jones woman, who's name I can't spell so I call her Bridget Jones, lol, the other night. It was lovely but at that point where she goes to the publishers and asks if she has enough royalties for instance to buy a house? He says you've got enough for a house in town and one in the country and you can comfortably live on your income for the rest of your life - I wanted to kill her. Then I felt sorry that the nice blokey died.
  • Allie,
    put self publishing in the Search box for Talkback, we've gone over it many times and there are a lot of posts on that topic. Should find what you're looking for out of that lot!
  • Just a thought: on another writer's site I've recently joined, they have a 'bookshop' listing for books that members have published.

If you click on the 'bookshop' tab, it directs you to listings of all the members' books with a JPEG of the book cover and a bit of blurb for each, and to buy you click on the link at the bottom of each listing (supplied by the author) which takes you to either to Amazon, their own site or wherever the book is primarily for sale.

As a member, you can choose to list your book for sale or not as you prefer. Non-members can buy but not list their publications.