Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Make a trip to The Works

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I found the Writer's Handbook 2007 for...£4. instead of £14.99...run run run!!
  • Wow MM! Where did you find it? Somebody having a sale?
  • Kangeroo The Works is a shop that sells all different sorts of things, stationery, craft stuff, games, but mostly books.
    They're probably remaindered stock (think that's the correct word)that the publisher sells on-sometimes in bulk- and it can be bought cheaper than in the mainstream bookshops.
    A lot of the celebrity/political biographies end up there.
  • A bit late and getting out of date for me.  How long before the next one is published?.  Four months?.  I always buy mine in July/August.  Publishers and Agents change so fast.  Back in 2002 I submitted a manuscript to a publisher who welcomed new writers, when I submitted in January they had a full list and definitely didn't want any work from an unpublished writer.

Publishing, it seems, does not sleep.
  • The Works is something of a pick and mix. Some days they have wonderful little gems, on others, its impossible to find anything worth reading. Guess I was lucky! I do always do a double check on websites for publishers, but I always prefer rooting through 'real' pages to find the people I want to send my work to.
  • I'm like Stirling, get the new issue in the autumn, but if you do have an older copy the addresses and website details rarely change so you can always find out any changes.
  • There's a 1998 copy in the local charity shop and whenever I look at it I think who would want that now?
  • The Works...thats a great shop!!! especially if you're into your art and crafts as well your writing.

i had the writers' and artists handbook 2006, so will probably buy the new edition every 3 years or so. going into broke student mode next year so can't buy it each year :S.
  • I always thought the new handbooks were out in October - I couldn't find a new one before that.
  • No, you can definitely get the new editions around August time.
  • I've just checked out Amazon, and the 2007 edition was published 24th July 2006.

And written by Ian Rankin, allegedly.  I though he only wrote the foreword . . .
  • You'll find them in most of the major shopping centres, but basically they sell the end stock of print runs that publishers can't shift.

Where are you visiting?.  Hope you enjoy your stay.
  • Well, that's answered a question for me - I've been trying to remember the name of the stationer's in my parents' home town and couldn't...thank you MM, it's The Works!  One less thing bugging me...
  • yeah the Works is excellent for arts stuff as well as books. I often go there for cheap gifts, stocking fillers etc. I've got the writers' yearbokk, handbook whatever before for cheap about six months after the publication, I don't think it's too out of date then. Most publishers/agents/newspapers etc. will still be at the same addresses and the articles are always going to be useful. I've still got my first copy from the early nineties on the shelf somewhere! I never throw a book away, too traumatic.

excuse any typos, I am a bit inebriated tongith
  • "excuse any typos, I am a bit inebriated tongith"

Erm Jay it is Friday, I guess we have all opened the odd bottle (or few LOL) of Merlot or other poison, join the boat mate.
  • Didn't know you lisped, Josie. I had a character who lisped. I gave him a name with lots of s's in it (ses???). Sadist at heart, aren't I?
  • Thanks for that Carol, I was curious.
  • Finchley!!!  Claudia, I live in North Finchley, so that made me chuckle - the idea of someone who lives in Fiji coming here...no doubt you have friends or family in the area?  It's tropically warm here today, so maybe you won't notice too much difference after all...
  • Guildford's one of our nearest towns. Good shopping centre, if a bit spread out. And, oh, that hill! Funny, I never used to notice it. They've re-named the Jolly Farmer now. Sacrilege.
  • Oh dear Claudia,

A "...quick detour off the North Circular.." might prove more protracted than you anticipate.

Volume of traffic has been horrendous of late. It seems many drivers have found the "rat-run" short-cut through Finchley for the West End.

You might need Hippo's cup of coffee to resuscitate nerves for your continued journey.