Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Valued Opinions

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• i wish to ask for your valued opinions. I have started a new blog on reviewing websites , books, infact anything that will be of interest to writers in particular but of general interest as well. The address is www.mrdsreview4u.blogger,com. Please if you can take the time to have a look and point me in the right direction.
  • sorry address is www.mrdsreview4u.blogspot.com

apologies and thanks for trying
  • Well I enjoyed the Green colour quiz, I'm Mint Green apparently.
    I might browse through it occasionally, I'm not really one for blogs.
    There was one obvious typo in the Protect your e-mail slot, a 'ew one on me' presume it should have been 'new'.
    Sorry little things like that get to me when I can see them.
  • I appreciate the info , I will edit the post.

What does your colour of green mean, was it accurate do you think?
  • I should have made a note of the details, but basically I'm helpful, have reached a state of calmness, and there is still so much to come to me.
    Hopefully that is me.
  • Thanks Scratch Whats your blog address?
  • Carol , how can you reach a state of calmness with four kids? Please let me know what you are smoking or drinking. Mine are 21 , 17 and 11 and get worse as they get older
  • She is just pure Jealous LOL
  • MrD I'm not calm all the time, but when you have gone through the years of baby triplets, progressing to toddler triplets, nothing seems THAT bad!(They go to senior school this autumn.)
    Honestly, I don't mean to be unkind to any parent who has singletons, but I get a bit peeved by these women who you hear complaining how difficult it is- and they only have one baby.
    They would have a nervous breakdown if they had three!
    Anyway, back to the original point of the thread.
  • MrD, you need to tidy up the words a bit.  addess a couple of times, no spaces between . and the next word, and it all feels a bit rushed at the moment.  I would take some time to calm it down, make it feel more restful.  It's a bit of a jumble at the moment, I didn't really know what to look at and the typoes bothered me, so I came out of it.  Suggest revision but it's a nice idea and I wish you well with it.
  • Thank you very much for your opinions, When something belongs to you , it can be difficult to see the mistakes.
  • I have looked at the blog and taken some of the postings out and edited the rest. It should read okay now. Thanks once again for the advice.
  • I wonder again how up to almost 100 read the post but less than 15 take the time to reply. Are we as friendly as we like to believe or is it the same thoughtful band of great people who take the time to reply.
  • There's probably a number who read the items but haven't registered to be able to respond, as well as those who could but don't have anything to add.
  • Thanks again Carol you are one of the band who take the time to reply. Especially grateful considering you have a family to look after as well. lol
  • Carol's making a valid point, MrD, many people read the posts but not everyone has registered to reply. Many times I log onto a thread only to find I cannot sensibly contribute, so I move on.  Don't think everyone is insensitive, it could be they have nothing to contribute.  I don't, for example, follow every link and read every blog or check every website every Talkbacker puts up, I simply don't have the time.
  • No problem MrD, I've got a few hours relaxation before the family return from a shopping trip so I've had time to read more threads today.
    I always try to look at suggested sites if I have time, in the evening.
  • With almost 9,000 posts between you I dont think there are many threads you have answered. I really appreciate the time you both take to make this place happen.
  • Should have read many threads you have NOT answered. I wish my fingers would keep up with my Brain or is that the other way round. Anyway I really have to start reading my own posts so carefully to stop typos going through.
  • Probably both. And of course we can multi-task!(Hehe)
  • That is very true thats why its a mans world to compensate.Thank God.
  • Thanks for that Scratch.
  • Hi MrD sorry for slow reply , this has been a manic weekend.

I enjoyed it. Plenty to read and rumble around with. Please note the following is offered in constructive opinion only. The colour scheme is fine, nice and easy on the eyes.I personally would opt for a differant background than the darker brown patterned one it does not really fit with the pace of the blog for me. Under the main heading of review4u where the intention of the blog is explained I would suggest that is in a larger point in a bolder typeface.
    The email article is pretty snappy (in a good way). Competition hyper probably needs a fair bit of expansion work, in the meantime a link to a site such a Loquax ,which has hundreds of competitions, may suffice until writing specific ones grow. It may even be possible to sort out a few pennies for yourself with links to Loquax feeder sites or Amazon etc.

Writing Tip of the day is good , nicely laid out in good contrast colour.Again snappy.

Ebay warning is useful . I have also had loads of those phishing emails , some pretty cunning.
    use of bold type works well on this cut.

Nice to see greenmetropolis supported on the blog. I have a friend who is severely disabled. She lists books on greenmet and although she cannot do it very quickly she gets a great amount of satisfaction from this and some extra money. A good company. Would a green typeface have worked here? And on any subsequent follow up articles on greenmet. Cream background , green font should be ok.

I have not put a blog together so who the heck am I to offer an opinion anyway ;-)

Basically, I enjoyed it and it reads to me like you enjoyed writing it.

Aegean
    -----
  • I have to agree to most points on another of Aegean's long but utterly useful posts. The site does look a whole lot better now than when I first visited, yet still looks almost lackluster. Do you have anybody who is a web designer etc to do a nice layout for you? I say this because I think you have a good site but it needs to be more tempting in its aesthetic. Small point I know but most people judge a website on the way t looks and either decide to stay or leave form that initial experience.
    Also I found some of the entries and links to be of little value and this made it seem amateurish. The RHS Photograph competition was an entry with a link yet no response or opinion from yourself. Also We all know about Phishing and have all dealt with it. I feel you posting this shows some "newbie" in net speak on the whole internet experience. If I stumbled upon a site that gave me this warning as a new phenomenon then I would think that the webmaster had no experience. This would put me off.

A great idea but make sure you make it your own. Take it on and throw your opinions against its walls. I only read blogs where people inform me or make me think, even if their ideas don't suit at least I feel conviction.

I do not hope that was harsh I do only mean to help.
  • Liked the site MrD - I'm teal green apparently! Thank you for the GreenMetropolis link - I've added it to my favourites and will definitely start to use it when I'm back home later this week.
  • I am a bit blown away. Thank you so much for your extensive input. I really appreciate you taking the time and will act on the good advice. As I have pointed out on the header the site is a work in progress. The advice given will help me progress even more.
  • Annie - I have visited your site before. It looks good and your enthusiasm for books and writing comes across. My blog is just writing, I don't even know how to put pictures on it.
  • Like your site.  I have absolutely not the foggiest about setting up one so take my hat off (and it's a heavy hat I can tell you) to those who do!

The Green Thing.  Marvellous.  I'd say accurate but then I didn't see the other descriptions.  Here's my (and Katy's) teal green:

You are a one of a kind, original person. There's no one even close to being like you.
    Expressive and creative, you have a knack for making the impossible possible.
    While you are a bit offbeat, you don't scare people away with your quirks.
    Your warm personality nicely counteracts and strange habits you may have.

Anna, my daughter, looked at that and said, yes, that is exactly the mother she has.  Hmmmm.
  • 'You are a one of a kind, original person. There's no one even close to being like you.'

Just thought (yes, it happens).  Well, if that's the case, how come Katy and I both got that one?  Huh?  Huh?  :O)!
  • Me too! Hmmm, I am unique - just like everyone else in the world.
  • Yes but some are more unique than others. Dont you think
  • Indubitably, MrD.