Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

National One Act Play competition

edited November 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• In the October issue of writers news there is a story about the National One Act Play competition being run by the Queen Mother Theartre in Hitchin, but no address for sending the entries.

I've checked their website, but no mention of it there either...

Anyone followed this up?
  • Probably the easiest thing would be to give them a ring at the number shown, or contact them by e-mail.
  • Yeah I did that, sent an email at any rate, I was just curious as to why the story went into WN with out that crucial detail.

For anyone else interested in submitting a one act play for this competition, I will post the details here when/if I get them...

Unless someone here beats me to it.
  • I managed to get an entry form - I think I must have Googled the theatre and then e-mailed the appropriate department.  Is there not a website / e-mail address in WN?
  • No Betsie there isn't one. I have emailed the theartre, hopefully they will follow it up.

And good luck with your entry.
  • I'm kinda making progress with this. Rang the theartre, spoke to a very nice man who sadly knew nothing of this. He has taken my number and someone is due to call me back... Hopefully soon...

I am wondering if this compo was really only meant for readers of the Stage, where it was also apparently mentioned.

Do the staff of WN look at these threads? I had hoped someone from the magazine would have popped by to clarify why important details were left out of the article.
  • Random:  I think I received rules and entry form via e-mail attachment.  I'm off to trawl my archives and if successful, I'll try to send them on to you.
  • Back again Random - Yippee, I've found it.  I've printed it off and saved it so would you like me to e-mail it to you or post it?  I'm off to a writers' group meeting now (am) but I'll check back later.  Deadline is 6th Jan.
  • Hi Betsie,

I received the entry form today, thank you. Nice timeing as I was just putting the finishing touches to my entry. And, as the form says I can enter two one-act plays, this is exactly what I shall do :-)

Got them all printed off and ready to go to the post office tomorrow morning, so they should get to Hitchen before the deadline.

Thanks for the help and once again, good luck with your entry. I believe they are looking for 4 winners? But who knows how many will be sent in... Usually these things attract hundreds of entries...
  • A small boast here. Thanks to Betsie sending me an entry form for this compo, I today received a letter to state that I was one of four winners :)

Apparently my play (a one act job) will be performed at the end of April.

To be honest; I'm thrilled :)
  • Thrilled? Of course you are. Well done.
  • Congratulations!
  • Congratulations.
  • Great news! Well done.
  • Well done.

I hope all of you near to Hitchen can come along and support the event.
  • That's brilliant, Random. How ecstatic you must be. As I've no hope of flying to the UK to see your entry performed, could you give me a litle hint as to what it's about?  Good lu-, er...sorry, break a leg!
  • The play is about a writer who, on the moment of killing himself, receives a visitor... And no it's not Death!

It's to be performed at the end if April and there is said to be a video too, so maybe I can get that out to any interested parties.

Odly enough, the idea from this came after I watched a play in Hamburg. In that one, a man with a gun was threatening another man, but I never felt the tension or the threat. It just didn't seem as though anyone was really in danger. It wasn't the actors fault, they were very good, it was simply that the writer hand't give them the words to create that tension. Instead they had these one-liners which were inserted as though really that's all the audiance would need to enjoy a good night out.

On the way home, I thought I might try to write something better. This winning entry is the result. Whether or not it is better... We shall see... I'm awake here at 6 am, woken by a nightmare where someone heckled me while I was collecting my prize...

Odd what dreams can do to you...
  • Do you know, that's the second time that's happened to me... I tried to post something, the browser wouldn't go for it, so I refreshed the page and tried again... but... and this is the spooky bit... All of a sudden I am logged on as someone else...

To me this seems to be a somewhat alarming securty worry... Don't you think?
  • It happens periodically, so we really need to remember to check who we are logged on as.
    I know we asked Webbo last year about this, and at the time he couldn't find a reason or answer to it occuring.
    Things go okay for weeks then it occurs for a few days, then rights itself.
    Apparently the temporary solution is to log off and then back on, and the problem should right itself.
  • That's an okay solution just so long as you don't mind someone potentialy posting under your name. To be honest, this forum is a little old, software wise... I wonder why they don't upgrade? there are some wonderful forums out there, most are free...
  • I can see your point Random, but what has to be considered is that Webbo has another job to do as well as running the site, and updating to new software is probably low on the schedule.
    (It could even come down to not having the forum at all, at one extreme.)
    The majority of the members usually realise that a substitution has happened, or someone else will query the identity.
    If you are really worried about it, then I suggest you e-mail Webbo and explain your concerns, and see if there is anything he can do.
    I'm not making light of your concerns Random, just being realistic.
  • Have you ever noticed though, that when you are logged on under someone else's name, that it is usually a person who has not participated for quite a bit of time?

I think the moral of the story is to keep in touch with your Talkback friends on a regular basis.
  • I'm wondering if what we see is in fact a default account, somekind of test account for webby to use... Could be, in which case, problems not so bad really.

I like this forum, I just miss some of he bells and whistles of other forums I use.
  • Ding, ding, ding. Dong, dong, dong. Whoohoo, tweet, tweet, whoohoo.
  • For update see Organising Talkback.
  • Small update on the play. It took place in Hitchin on the 20th and 21st of April and was a most humbling experince to see my own text being taken so seriously by actors and director... Audiance reaction was excellent and loads of people came up to chat to me afterwards...

It was a special moment. Made all those years of scribbling seem worth it :)

Moral of this story? If I can do it, so can you. Keep scribbling...
  • Pleased it was such a great night. What a marvellous experience.
  • Great news Random - well done.
  • I've sent an email to Writers News, where I read about the compo because I wasn't sure if I now qualified for their hall of fame :)
  • Good to hear it was so successful. And of course it qualifies.
  • Great news!
  • I basked as much as my nervous heart would allow. Awe-struck is probably how I came across though ;)