Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Some more versions of words

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• What is a 'molly' to you? Well whatever you think it is, Brighton has its own version. See:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/story/0,,2060521,00.html

(to me a Molly was an 18th Century term for men, some homosexual, others cross-dressed, who formed their own private groups to carry on their activities out of sight of society- no offence intended to anyone here.)
  • Molly was the nickname of my grandmother. Her real name was Mary.
  • Oh, I knew what it usually means and you went and told everyone! Mollyhouses. Think there's been a play by Mark Ravenhill with that in its title. Don't know any other meaning.
  • Do read the article and discover what it means in Brighton.
    (I apologise that Jordan is mentioned)It has an entirely different meaning there- quite innocuous in fact.
  • Carol - I like the comments about J's two-volume autobiography in the last paragraph of the article.
  • Molly is my niece - it also takes me back to being seven years old and reading Milly-Molly-Mandy books
  • I thought the whole thing was a very subtle swipe at Jordan, done in a way no one would object to.
  • One of my favourite books as a child was Cowslip Molly about a mouse who kept a shop, made cowslip wine and had a lot of bother with her landlord who was a rat (in both senses), still looking for it on ABE.
  • Molly is my neighbour's dog.
  • Okay, to make this easy here is a quote from Ben Marshall in the Guardian
    'Down on the beach, "molly" is an insult bandied about by schoolchildren, and refers to those kids who, for reasons of sartorial self-neglect or simple, contemptible poverty, look as if their mothers have dressed them.'

Does this say something about children generally or just Brighton children?
  • Carol, I liked the other quote that was mentioned, too.
    (Her other favourite word is "doughnut", which, in the context she uses it, refers to anyone more stupid than her. Thus, when she is not accompanied by Peter Andre, it is almost never employed.)
    Ha ha, keep 'em coming.
  • Carol: your quote about the children makes me so sad - I hate to think kids can treat each other like that and they're always yelling for respect - don't 'dis' me etc.
  • It is sad Betsie, very sad. But I see it everywhere, perhaps because I live in a city with a big mix of races and incomes.
    Image, to some, is what defines who they are, and if you don't 'fit'then you are not one of the group, gang etc. And sometimes that does have violent repercussions.
  • Children have always insulted each other, ganged up on one another, picked on anyone who stands out in any way at all. Little savages, the lot of them.
  • Little savages become big savages.
  • Golding was the prophet, then, with "Lord of the Flies".
  • It's so upsetting to think of how we manage to corrupt the innocence of some children in a few short years.
  • I don't mean to bring this thread down but it is true. We had that dreaded valentines day news here about 17 years ago which not only rocked us but shocked the world. Yes kids can be savages but do they have responsibility?
  • That's a difficult thing to decide. There are children who are just plain nasty, and they do know that what they are doing is wrong.
    Others don't realise that it is wrong.
    But when you see some of the tv shows that kids watch, the reality shows and such, you can see where they start from.
    If parents have the same attitude, then their children will take that as being okay for them as well.
    It is probably not one thing alone.
  • I think it's all about a consistent set of values being reinforced at home, in school, in the media and in all other activities. Many children are wonderful in spite of the shortfalls in one or more areas.

I was horrified to read this article in today's Guardian. What chance do the children involved have? http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2062486,00.html
  • Sorry about my earlier post I typoed(?) a number, I meant 14 years.

Howard I just read that it is disgraceful. I cannot understand how they walked free. I also noticed the fact they used homophobic language as insults to the toddlers. It does make you wonder what environment those children are growing up within. Maybe these are the kind of kids who grow up to be thugs, all because their parents shaped them that way.
  • Crumbs, your presence was sorely missed when you were away, Carol!
  • It will be sometime before I'm away again TT, so I'll keep highlighting interesting snippets from the online newspapers.