Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What job do you think this is?

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• A headline and brief blurb caught my notice, and apart from setting my mind into creative overdrive I thought it might be fun for everyone to guess what the job is that apparently comes with handcuffs- NO PEEKING!

'now a hard grind where handcuffs are standard issue'
  • Is it anything to do with the ad for the chocolate/peanut bar where it says (somewhat pervertedly!), "You decide whether they should be punished"?
  • That's a good try, but unfortunately not the correct one.
  • Steady on there, Scratch!
  • Keep guessing.
  • Er... maybe just simply a policeman? Or is that too obvious...
  • Maybe a job in a chocolate factory
  • Did I hear someone mention chocolate?? Now that you've got my attention...

It has to be a police officer, Carol.
    But if I were to use my imagination, I'd hazard a guess at school principal.  :)
  • A teacher!
  • Could it be related to terrorism? Cabin crew on aircaft? A job in transport that could be a target for attack?

(IG; how dare you! We definitely reserve them for private use only!)
  • Yes - an alternative to bum glue
  • Nurses at A&E departments in hospitals?
  • A great variety of suggestions, so I won't keep you in suspense.
    Howard is almost spot on.
    An article in the Times online yesterday 'The Trouble with Trolley Dollies' was looking at how the role and appearance of air stewardesses have changed. In the interview, and here I quote,
    'There's a lot of attention paid to the threat of terrorism- we do role play, have restraint training. Nowadays there are now two sets of handcuffs for each aisle to deal with hostile passengers,drunks, whatever.'

I wonder what the whatever was for!!!
  • Perhaps we should ask Howard.  :)
  • I can only imagine.

I try not to fly for ecoglogical reasons (I love high speed trains)but I have seen some bad behaviour on flights.

I try avoid Easyjet becase I loathe the rush for seats. It all starts before you ever board.It's like Wacky Races at the boarding gate! Then it contines as you are jostled down the jetty or flattened in the rush from the bus. Ugh!

The most pleasant experience I had was on an internal flight in Spain when soon after sitting down I was recognised by a flight attendant, an ex-student whose name I managed to remember. The pleasure of seeing her again was almost overshadowed by her insistence on giving me special treatment which, in reality, no one really minded.
  • The whatever that did spring to mind relates to the film star and the stewardess and the supposed mile-high club- I should add I do not know if handcuffs were involved, but common sense obviously was lacking.