Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thought Provoking Books

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Has anybody read Eric Von Danikens' Chariots of the Gods. Very thought provoking I thought
  • Sorry, no I haven't read it. What is it about?
  • My Dad was a fan, had all his books and attended some of his lectures.  That was a very long time ago, though, and I didn't know his books were still in print.
  • Hi carol;
    Eric Von Daniken is/was a science fiction writer but wrote books like The Chariots of The Gods where he looked at past features such as the Inca temples etc and disected/analysed and put forward opinions/evidence(where he could), and possibilities that we - as the science of the uiverse is trying to find/prove - are not alone.

That they received help from races we can only imagine, to have built such perfectly designed and accurately measured structures with out the help of methods we in the 21st century take for granted

Montholon; I don't know if his books are still in print either
  • Thanks IT, I have heard about some of this before, so I know what you're talking about. Thanks.
  • Yes read them and bought into it until I found out it was biased research guided toward his thesis.

Looked into it myself and yes most of it is bunk.
  • Don't mention it Carol, glad to be of help
  • I agree ST but still a lot of it was thought provoking, but then I am a scince fiction/fantasy/mythology fruit 'n' nut LOL
  • Thought you meant Kurt Vonnegut who died recently. Don't actually know much about either of them, I have to admit.
  • Kurt Vonnegut? never heard of him Jay
  • Slaughterhouse Five. A wonderful book,IT. (Well I think so.)
  • There's an article - "Kurt Vonnegut: his own words" - on www.timesonline.co.uk/books 
  • I read it many years ago and everyone was talking about it at the time-That we come from aliens who lived here before us and built all these things like those lines made in Peru was it for landing their space ships?
  • Scratch, try abebooks.com - they now say they have over 100 million books listed through heaven alone knows how many booksellers. It was 75 million when I first found them. I have had some wonderful rare books via their service.
  • I read Chariot of the Gods years and years ago - some interesting theories.  Did anyone watch that documentary last week about aliens landing in America (I've forgotten the name of the place0 and the military had allegedly done a cover-up?
  • Betsie: probably Roswell. It's usually Roswell.
  • Read several of his books many years ago. The first was thought provoking, then I realised that he explains everything he can't immediately understand in terms of little green men. All total rubbish. Lots of it has since been rationally explained.
  • I read Chariots of the Gods in the late seventies.
    To be straight to the point I did not like it.
    Even back then I thought it was flawed.
    And that was at a time when I thought The Clash were philosphical !
    I think I read a sequel but cannot recall the name of it.
  • It is a thought provoking book though,re the lines in Nazca, Peru they are an enigma noone knows why they were built, could they be landing strips for the alien space ships (they can only be seen from space)? Read more here mhttp://www.crystalinks.com/nazca.html

Spooky!
  • If I kill this thread, apologies, but my Mayan guide, a Priest-King from his time, stopped by, read what was being said here and laughed.  He said 'everything they, the Aztec people, and we, the Mayan people, drew, created, sculpted, had a reason to be there and it had nothing to do with what you call space. It was for our gods. One day all will be revealed.'
  • I love that dorothy. A couple of thousand year old Priest-King comes to you as a spirit and he is cynical about aliens. Ironic really.
  • The people with me are from all eras, they bring surprising perspectives with them. Xnaczivatha has been with me through every life I have lived since I first arrived on earth, sometimes we were together, mostly though he seems to have been in the Realms with me struggling on this side of life, as now!  All wise, all knowing, his learning is apparently vast and all encompassing. My Teacher, an angel, tells me they are in awe of his knowledge.  So, if he says something, I do tend to believe it ...

I don't think I've mentioned my Teacher before. She used to come in my meditations, but then began just coming, to lecture me, mostly. The day she stops calling me 'Littlest One' is the day I know I am progressing properly.  Usually she arrives and I get 'Listen, Littlest One!'