Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in April's magazines?

edited March 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in April's magazines, due out today?
  • I think my subscription must have expired, after all these years etc... I haven't got it yet, anyway.
  • I know my direct debit renewal for the magazine has gone through, but our post has been and it wasn't in it.
  • Postie not here with mine yet.  Mind you February I had to have them send me another copy as mine never turned up.
  • Post has been and it's not here!
  • Very amusing DorothyD, you're probably right there. I don't even actually subscribe to WN/WM but am always interested to see the successes of my virtual friends on Talkback!
  • Good news: I've actually finished March's magazine (for the 2nd month running I'm up-to-date - might even be the 3rd).

Bad news: I don't have my copy of April's magazine yet, either.  I think Jay gets his by special delivery!  Or are you still awaiting yours, too, Jay?  Your message is open to interpretation...
  • No, I haven't got mine, either. I just diarise when they say the next one's due out, and put a post up here. Maybe it's already in WH Smith's.
  • Haven't got mine. Mind I only recently renewed my subscription, but I didn't get my first magazine/news until May 06 so I should be safe, shouldn't I?
    Maybe the post office is on a go slow?
  • April Magazine already?! It's only 9th March.
  • Mine arrived this morning, and only two Talkbackers were in it as far as I could see, Malcolm and Dorothy.
    Unless I missed it there isn't even a news from Talkback column.
  • It's a long weekend on Monday here (Labour Day) so I'll be waiting a while longer than that unfortunately.
  • hi, i'm new here, so i am not going to get off on the right foot by saying that i had my copy today (not bad for france)!  We have an interview with Lindsey Davis, an interesting article on Women in horror, profiles on Dilly Court and Roz Southey. anything you want to know?
  • Got mine this morning and flicked through before I went to work.  I noticed Dorothy, and I'm looking forward to reading the piece on Lindsay Davis - I love the Falco books.
  • Dorothy, your mention is in the WN letters page, about always having a book to read with you.
    Malcolm's is about his book in the Members news bit- the extra page of such stuff.
    (Have just been out with the boys so they could use their World Book Day tokens)so I'm going to have a quick read of the online newspapers and then settle down to WN/WM.
  • Mine arrived today, but I'm getting over a headache so haven't opened it yet. Hi, Amanda. Welcome to Talkback. I worked in Rouen one summer years ago - the post was very quick between England and France then.
  • Got my copy too and to my surprise my enquiry letter for the helpline was in there. I wonder if anyone can help as Diana can't. If there isn't a MA in creative writing done via correspondent course then there should be. With the internet etc there should be online seminars which we could join in or watch when we can. Especially with pod casting now available.
  • Lancaster University offers correspondence courses - don't know if that includes MA Might be worth an enquiry
  • Mine came today, saw the item about MW, missed Dorothy's piece, I must have another look. No Talkback column this month.
  • Betsie is right.  Details here of the Lancaster University MA Course:
    http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/english/crew/distance_ma_full.htm

Also De Montfort - Leicester:

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/humanities/pg/ma/cwnm.jsp

And Manchester Metropolitan:

http://www.hlss.mmu.ac.uk/english/postgrad/course.php?id=10

Hope this helps Butterfly.
  • Thanks Carol for alerting me about the piece on my book in the Members' News section.  I must confess I'd not as yet opened it, having got back from Crufts late last night. Will go and do so now.
  • Malcolm, did you retire early or are you just young-looking?
  • I really enjoyed the Lindsey Davis article, a few of the things she said about creating her characters made me think, and look at them again.
  • Jay.....put it down to backlighting, air brushing and using photos that are years out-of-date.
  • Thanks Megrose I'll look into these. It is amazing that there are so many places doing correspondent courses for creative writing MA's. I'm particularly interested in the MA in children's writing. It would be great if the Winchester campus did it as a correspondence course. I could get there on a Saturday. But not during the week.
  • My copy arrived today, a bit later than everyone else it would seem, but never mind it's here now.
    I shall have a read of it this evening when I'm babysitting.
  • Mine also arrived today.

Butterfly, I believe Lancaster University have a good reputation for their creative writing courses (I was there as an undergrad studying modern languages a million years ago! - but have heard about their reputation in more recent years, I hasten to add).
  • The winning short stories in both WN and WM were very good this issue; the first ones I've liked since subscribing.

I also enjoyed Dorothy's letter - clever idea...
  • And once again, I wasn't quite me when I typed that - the previous message was mine, not Eve's.
  • I thought the WN story was better than usual, possibly because it wasn't their usual sort of story.
  • Good.  Seek the unusual.  We are all unique.

Btw, I've had to resubscribe as I wondered what everyone was going on about.  This is the first time since 1991 that I've had to sort out my subscription, or missed a month. 

At least Mslexia's arrived.  And I have a job to apply for.  Wish me luck!
  • Hee hee.  It is rather staid, dd.  But it all helps...  I have to be quite selective about which bits of it I read.
  • I've finally got started on April's magazines (a day or two after May's arrived - grrr...). Did anyone else notice the weird mistake in WN? Richard Bell's critique of the prize-winning short story went on and on about how effective the first-person narrative in the story was. The only thing is, the winning story published in my copy was a third-person narration...
  • I don't usually read the critiques. And I try to avoid book blurbs in case they give the ending away.