Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The thin line between fiction and reality

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• An enlightening and thought-provoking item- may we never find ourselves in that situation.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2055763,00.html
  • That's what I used to do. Eventually I realized/was told you can highlight the web address you require, copy it, and paste it where you usually put addresses. Bingo!
  • Hi, Claudia. Panic over? With regard to cut and paste, you may find you have to use your mouse instead of edit and copy or paste. Left click to start to drag/highlight. Right click to copy or paste.
  • ah, now I understand. Claudia if you're panicking about how to do it, then copy the text with the url in it and paste it into notepad or something similar. Open up a new internet explorer page (so you've still got Talkback and won't do any damage to it, lol) and paste the url into the address bar there. Hope that helps.
  • I had a character name in my first novel, I eventually changed the christian name to something that suited the character better; but he was called Dominic Sutton originally, taken from one of my kids names and the Seed supplier Sutton for the surname.
    A year later a young man of the same name drowned in the Trent.
  • Some unfortunate combinations can't be helped, as in Carol's instance, choosing a first name and a company for the second.  I often change names, one book which came in, I think the guy is American, had Dave King in it as a shady character.  I remember a famous Dave King so changed it to Doug King instead.  Now, rooted firmly in history, I find I have to adhere to the names they had then, even if I would prefer to change them as there are way too many Henrys, Edwards and so on.
  • Here's a suggestion that might help Claudia and others with Internet Explorer issues:

Instead of simply pasting a URL and saying "What do you think of this?" it would be really helpful if we could have a precis of the article (nothing fancy, just a few lines). It would also be a massive help to those like me who have very limited Talkback time and have to make a more or less instant decision on whether the subject of a thread is relevant and worth spending time on. If I just see a URL and a "What do you think of this?" I practically never take the trouble to import the URL and look up the article. But with a few choice words that would flag up whether or not the article is relevant to me, I'm that much more inclined to make the effort.

Just a suggestion. But there have been a LOT of postings of this type recently.