Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just finished my book

edited April 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Dear all
    I have just written those glorious words 'The End' and it felt fantastic. Now I've just got 162,000 words to edit, a synopsis to write and a cv to invent and then I'll be ready to throw myself to the lions.
    Fingers crossed that somebody somewhere will think my book is half decent and give me a chance.
    Anybody like to come to my house and write my synopsis for me and a truly magnificent cv that no-one will be able to resist, i'll supply coffee and biscuits to all
  • congratulations! what an achievement! what's your book about?
  • And when they've done yours can they do mine??  Ive got so much editing to do its crazy.

Congratulations on getting to 'The End'  I think thats an acheivment in itself.
  • It's set in the early 1800's in North East England and centres around the children who were sold to the cotton mills.
    Thank you Nephilims, it's only taken 18 months to complete and now i have had the idea for a sequel start whirling around inside my head and keeping me awake at night. No rest for the wicked.
  • Well done, Mandy. We look forward to seeing your book on the bookshelves and selling like hot cakes!
  • Thank you Stan, for a moment i thought you meant i had to buy the cakes, i only offered coffee and biscuits
  • congratulations! Don't forget to put it away for a time, though, before you begin the editing process, it will look like a different book to you then.
  • It's only a short book then? Only joking - my last effort just managed 40,000 words. Well done!
  • Yes Jay, it's only a wee one, nothing to tax the brain too much. The first book i wrote is still sitting in a box waiting to be edited, so i think i might tackle that one and then get around to editing this one. decisions, decisions, i just know that my fingers, elbows and neck are hurting slightly at the moment and my eyes are permanently glazed from too much caffeine. The joys of being a writer eh! Hee Hee, i won't be complaining if an agents comes knocking at my door though.
  • Jay's comment covered something I have wondered about, is it easier to reduce say 150,000 words to 80,000 than to expand the thin bits of say 50,000 words to 80,000
  • yes.  Expanding can so often look like padding and that shows up so obviously to an editor. Cutting, on the other hand, preserves and sharpens the storyline, holding the attention better.
  • Putting something extra into a load of dialogue can be virtually impossible.
  • Well done Mandy!
  • Congratulations Mandy, that's a fantastic achievement - well done!
  • There must be instances where you realise that you have glossed over a passage and later events need a more detailed setting up to make sense. I have read books where I had to go back and guess how somthing came about. Surely this is a case hen you have to expand an earlier peice?
  • Nice one - congratulations.  Wishing you stamina for the slog of the second draft!
  • from one mandy to another a huge hug and welldone! you have already acheived more than most hopefulls ever will.
  • Well done, Mandy.  My aim is to be at the same point by the end of June...better get off Talkback, then.
  • to everyone who replied to my post, Thank You. Yes this was my first post and that was because everytime i was about to reply to someones thread, i got caught up in reading the most useless thread and the one about the woman in pink wellies being attacked by slime. i have never laughed so much and when i felt i couldnt write another word or felt like giving up, then i'd come on here and feel a lot better.
    Thank you all so much for your support
  • Well done Mandy. Start planning the next one if you haven't already.
  • yes there are times when you need to expand on something but not to the point of thousands of words.  Sometimes a mere paragraph does it.  You can't expand tight good dialogue without it looking as if you have and other additional writing so often looks like padding that it stands out a mile.

Cutting is much easier.