Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Starbucks

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I've been reading an article in today's Independent, that Starbucks are trying to get into the publishing game.

Basically the idea is that they select a book to sell in their coffee shops (the selected book in the US is A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah).  So far 100,000 copies have been sold through Starbucks, and marketing has included in store book clubs, video interviews (via wi-fi service) and link up with literary organisationations.

I'm dubious.  They are wanting to emulate the success of Richard and Judy and Ophrah Winfrey.  I don't think I would buy a book from them.  They are such a huge franchise (whose coffee - even the free trade coffee - is revolting) that I don't trust how the books are being selected.  Is the publisher paying for the advertising space?.

What does other think?.
  • how many people want to get into this publishing game and for what reason? They could have some unmitigated disasters on their hands that way if they don't pick the right (good) book! I think/feel marketing is going mad because sales generally are sliding in every part of the consumer world. 

I know someone who adores Starbucks, but as I have not been able to visit one and try it, I cannot say. What I do know is, if I visit the Koffee Bar here in Ryde for lunch, they bring me coffee with cream before they take the order ... they are that used to me and the coffee is always the same, superb.
  • I know what you mean Stirling, but I must admit that I think anything that gets more people reading and buying books has to be a good thing.

I read Starbucks are also developing a record label and signing musicians to sell their CDs in their shops so perhaps thay are looking to 'diversify their brand' as the marketing world would say! So perhaps they are launching as a kind of publisher too?
  • Starbucks are notorious for their aggressive marketing strategies, pushing out small independent retailers by taking over retail space (not just rival coffee shops, but also book shops!). They're like Nestle and Microsoft, guaranteed ethics-free in the way they do business.
  • Dorothy, you've just hit the nail on the head (cliche alert!). 

The problem with big companies like Starbucks have forgot how to treat their customers right.  I work in a small tea room in Northumberland, and we know what our regular customers will order.  I go into shops, and I can't believe how these stores treat their customers!.

I've said before, I believe in hand-selling.  How can poorly paid staff, who sell coffee and muffins be expected to competently sell music and books?.
  • Whilst I think Costa's is vastly superior to Starbucks it is worth thinking about perhaps for self published work. It isn't unknown for people to find themselves waiting in a cafe for somone or something with nothing to read. Sounds lik a good marketing shot
  • I agree that Costa's coffee is better than Starbucks, but I think with anything like this it’s a matter of convenience. I go to Costa because there is one in the concourse of the hospital where I work. I’d like to ring the changes and go to Starbucks but can only do that when I’m in town which is rare. The thing about personal service is it’s not just about the franchise, it’s about attitudes of the workers. At the Costa I regularly go to (up to three times per week) they know me and know what I drink and I chat if they’re not too busy. Some small independent teashops I’ve been to have snooty staff who won’t take the time of day to be friendly.

As for the books issue, I think that the more places for books to be available the better, and if coffeeshops are encroaching into bookshops – a la WHSmith and Costa, why not have coffeeshops stocking books? The only downside I see is the worry that (yet again) they’ll only stock a select few ‘bestsellers’ thus reducing the number of available books to buyers and unfairly inflating the sales of those books that are already on the bestseller list in a spiralling upwards movement, rather than stocking a variety of books and giving the lesser-known names more opportunities to be read.
  • I'm not surprised that they want to diversify,  as they seem intent on making as much money as possible.  Last year I noticed they were selling a game called Cranium,  which my husband was given at the Salt Lake City Paralympics, but nobody seemed to be buying.  Like Josie, I hope they won't just stock best sellers/celebrities' autobiographies.

Many bookshops have cafes so, I suppose, it's fair game that cafes  should have bookshops on their premises.     

• Some cafes/restaurants have shelves of old books - those are the ones I'd like to have a look at but they seem to be just for decoration. Shame!