Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems accessing Talkback on Tuesday

edited March 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• I know Stan and I both had problems getting into the message board yesterday morning, but I had further problems last night.
    I could get the homepage, but clicking on Talkback just left me waiting for ages, no matter how long I left it.
    I got an error message one time.
    I thought it was the computer at first, but every other website I visited I didn't have any problem.
    Did anyone else have access problems Tuesday night?
  • Judging from the fact that no one posted for twelve hours, I think they did! I couldn't access it, at any rate.
  • Yes, me too - couldn't access WN site, did so after long delay and then error message regarding Talkback. Assumed site was undergoing maintenance work.
  • Hey I didn't post that. Though it was off for about twelve hours.
  • That posting was by me, Tony - how bizarre, I must have somehow been logged in under your name without noticing, sorry.
  • Phew. Thought I'd been sleep posting again.
  • Shows we can't do without you dorothyd. Hope your computer is well again soon. I too couldn't access Talkback yesterday morning or part of the evening.
  • It wasn't working during the early hours of today, either. I eventually managed to post something about seven o'clock.
  • Glad to know it was a problem and not just my incompentence!
  • Misread that last word. Thought it might be something to do with plumbing.
  • Ha Ha!!!
  • That's dreadful news Dorothy. Re-setting everything is time consuming, let alone getting all your security up to date.

Had problems getting onto Talkback again this evening, for over an hour, and The Times online was playing up as well with an error message. I even did a quick spyware check in case I had a problem on the computer.
    But at least it's working now.
  • I think there've been a few problems today, too!
  • I've had problems this morning. Think something is going on with Talkback this week?
  • Oh good it's back on. Just when I was doing some serious writing it returns. Any chance it can go off again tonight for a few hours please so I can finish the chapter I have been working on.
  • I couldn't access since Wednesday lunch time, and I must have been trying at least a dozen times.  Apart from that my computer is fine.  I was starting to think that I had been barred!.

I think Webbo may have contracted a virus.
  • I've only had a problem with Talkback, I've been able to get on all the other sites I tried, but haven't been able to get on here at all today until now.
  • Not just the internet,

Credit card banking lines are also, apparently, running slow.
  • I've been trying since nine o'clock Wednesday evening and couldn't get in- assumed there was a problem, and tried this morning but got an unavailable message each time I tried.
    I was feeling very cut off from my friends on Talkback.
  • I also had problems on both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, which was frustrating as I had a little free time and was going to 'treat' myself to some Talkback time!  I should have known, it's been one of those weeks, where nothing terrible has happened, but lots of niggles have put paid to doing anything productive and contributed to a general 'down' feeling.  I'd hoped for a snuggle up in the Talkback armchair last night to make me feel better, but alas it was not to be...mind you, thinks aren't much better today.  Is there room in there for a small, glum one? (Jan, I believe you are Chair Monitor?)
  • You should see our credit card banking line at work.  It's always slow!.
  • Wriggle in Hippo,

There is always room amongst the billowing folds of our armchair. Come and have a cuddle.

There is definitely trouble afoot. Now the banking BACS system has been found to be operating at slow pace, many workers will not get their pay today.
  • Yes, I saw this on the BBC Breakfast programme. The spokesperson from BACS was saying all the banks were aware of it, and if anyone went overdrawn because of this the banks would not be charging.
    If I were in that situation I'd still check my statements to make sure.
  • Hey, Jan, steady on with the cuddling!
  • It's all right Stan,

I am sure Hippo would be happy to be the "filling" in our "club sandwich" so you just snuggle up as well.
  • Webbo, I haven`t been able to access Talkback directly now for 4 whole days! Only through the WN/WM website, then I have to trawl down the "Choose Categories" to see the threads. Not good. Can you help?
  • Now, now, Stan and Jan, what a cheeky pair you are! 

Now there's a thought - if you were a sandwich filling, what would you be?  I reckon I'd be a straightforward cheese sandwich - what you see is what you get, no frills, reliable, but always enjoyable (especially with a nice bag of crisps) - but sometimes has a bit of bite.
  • What a good thing that I did not try to get on to Talkback,sounds like a gremlin at work. I also heard that some computer that deals with the wages of public service manual workers was running slow. I rather fancy that the electricity companies are deliberately turning down the capacity which affects computers because of depletion in resources, high demand affects the capacity. On two occasions lately, our electricity went off for a minute then came back on, once while we were watching television and another during the night. Mum says it is the switch over and the computer software is not efficient in switching over smoothly, I do not know - just a guess. Last year during the summer because of the heat and people using air conditioning, they had to ration power in London, causing deliberate power cuts. Also it might be something to do with global warming, i.e. the electricity capacity is moderated to reduce the effects but then these companies should send out warnings when they plan to do this.
  • Interesting you should say that Woll22 - at my boyfriend's a couple of weeks ago the power went down 3 or 4 times, very briefly, but enough to send his radio alarm into a spin and alert us to the problem.  As fast as we put the time right, it went haywire again!  Then last week my own lights started flickering, which went on for quite some minutes - TV unaffected (presumably if there are fluctuations in the supply more sensitive pieces of equipment show them first?) - which had me thinking the wiring in my flat was about to give up on me.  We both live in London - BF in East, I'm in the North.
  • Our ceiling lights also fluctuate. Is it an urban myth that they dim because so many people put their electric kettles on during the commercial breaks?