Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book award

edited March 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Year 7 students at local schools have been asked to choose their favourite book which will become Secondary School Book of the Year.

That sounds like a great idea, but it has its limitations. They have to choose from six recently-published books (all expected to appeal to both boys and girls) which have been selected by the School Library Service and School Librarians.

I suppose it's better than nothing - at least it's vastly increased the sales of those six books!
  • And they're likely to be books that are selling reasonably well already.
  • I guess Jenny that you live in Hillingdon. I work for Hillingdon Libraries and recognise the awards from your description. What the whole scheme does do, despite its limitations, is encourage school children to read - and that can't be a bad thing. Each school sends a representative panel to the ceremony and they have to speeak on stage about their favourite so it also encourages confidence, public speaking and debate. As it is library connected, it may increase sales but the main purpose is to increase library borrowing, so local libraries will ensure they have lots of copies of the six books in stock. That in turn encourages membership and use of the libraries among an age group libraries want to attract as the readers of the future. The six books appear on free bookmarks, and there is a chance for the schools to  produce linked artwork too, which then goes on public display. All in all, it's not a bad thing, and about 12 or 15 local schools take part, enjoying the ceremony, meeting the mayor and getting free lunch and ice cream!
  • Viv - I understand the reasoning behind the award but thought it would have been interesting to know which book would have won if the children hadn't been limited to six pre-determined books.

I'll look in one of the local libraries to find out the six titles!
  • The ceremony and judging is tomorrow morning, so we won't have to wait long to know the winner!
  • In case anyone wants to know, the winner of Hillingdon's Secondary Schools Book of the Year was Anthony Horowitz (I bet I've spelt that wrong!) whose book got zillions more votes than any of the others - slight exaggeration!
  • Which of his books Viv?
    I'm not surprised his books appeal to boys and girls.
  • The winning book was called Ravensgate. Voted on by panels of teenagers from ( I think it was 18) local schools. It got 79 votes, and the runner up was Tins by Alex Shearer which got 18 votes. Quite a landslide victory.
  • Yes, I've seen Ravensgate, but not noticed Tins by the other author.
    Horowitz seems to be well liked by readers. My boys are eagerly waiting for the next Alex Rider book.
    I think there's been a surge in popularity since the film came out last year, and I'm sure that's having a knock-on effect with his other books.