Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Prizegiving - Harrogate

edited February 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what happens? Can you take anyone with you? Where it is held? I need to find a hotel nearby as I would love to go and collect my prize, but can't go up and back in one day. I've tried looking in the archives but can't find anything there either.
    Can you help?
  • According to March WN, it's going to be held at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate on 3rd May.  Prizewinners are automatically invited, but guests and other writers who want to go have to pay £25 a ticket.  Details from Lorna Edwardson, DSJT Charitable Trust, PO Box 6055, Nairn IV12 4YB.  The day begins with a buffet lunch at noon, followed by the awards ceremony.
  • The local tourist board should be able to send you info on places to stay. You should be able to find the details by goung to their main website and clicking on relevant links.
  • I was hoping to stay at the Majestic Hotel, but it is fully booked for that night. Does anyone know if the Writers News books all the rooms and you get them from them? Or what? I didn't want to have to go off driving about in a strange place. Any ideas?
  • I'll also have to stay over as I'll be going up by train.  I've done a bit of browsing on the internet of hotels and guesthouses in Harrogate itself, but haven't got as far as booking anywhere.  Another alternative would be to stay in York, I guess.  I am thinking of making a little break of it and possibly staying a couple of nights as I'd also like to visit the gardens at Harlow Carr which are just outside Harrogate.
  • Congratulations! I know nothing of the arrangements but just wanted to say good luck.
  • Could you get in touch with the DSJT, and clarify.
  • I'm going to email Richard Bell to ask. If they have held rooms then that'll be good, if not I'm not sure where to start looking. Perhaps we could all meet up at the same hotel?
  • Firstly, well done Butterfly (and I'll be over to your blog soon). I am sure the Prizegiving is a must for anyone who is a winner - I've only ever been short-listed and it wasn't recently!
  • In case you haven't already come across it, you can go to www.yorkshire.com and click on accomodation to search for places in the area.  To be honest, I'll be looking at the guesthouse/B & B end of the market as I don't want to end up spending all my prize money on getting to the event.  I am thinking of going on the Wednesday and coming back Friday as it'll give me time to explore Harrogate and see Harlow Carr while I'm up there.  Also I think it'll make it a more relaxing break, as when travelling by train your plans can go rather haywire!

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss anything about the arrangements.  (Go to Members' Profiles and click on the asterisk beside my name.)
  • Thanks Lilly,
    I won't beable to come any earlier as I have to work and only get the one day off. Thankfully I don't work Friday's. However it will cost me over £100 to get to the event even if I go for the cheaper option. I thought I'd treat myself and go posh....well, if I can get a room and they aren't too expensive.
  • I have only just read this thread - there is a phone number you can ring at the DSJT, and it's 01667 453 351. Hopefully you'll be able to get some more details there. You probably know all this by now. :o)

See you there!
  • Thanks Helen, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning. As they'll probably be gone by now.
  • I've just got a copy of a B&B/Hotel accomodation leaflet from The David St.John Thomas Charitable Trust (I phoned they sent it). It has a list of hotels and B & B's close by. I'm about to look up the Grants Hotel & Studley Hotel (swan road) and Kimberley Hotel (Kings road) The Franklin BB (Franklin road) Crescent Lodge BB (swan road)Anyone want the web addresses let me know. I've no idea how much these cost I'm about to find out and maybe think again.
  • I've emailed nine hotels/ BBs and they are all full for the 3rd May. So as it goes at the moment, I'll not be able to go. This is annoying. I can't pay £145 for a room at the Majestic Hotel, I'm going to keep looking but...
    Helen, Lily where are you staying - I could try them. This is so frustrating.
  • If you get really desperate, Butterfly, you can have a bed at my place.  I would have offered before, but I live 12 miles away from Harrogate.  However, there's a bus service every 20 minutes during the day.  Let me know if you don't find anywhere.
  • Butterfly, in a rush of blood to the head I booked somewhere myself a couple of days ago.  I'm going to try and email you with details through the 'contact' facility.  Let me know if my email gets to you (may go into your junk mail file).
  • A great website for affordable B&Bs and independent small hotels is www.smoothhound.co.uk - well worth a look. I've booked loads of accommodation via this site, and there is often a discount offered too. You can search by area / location.
  • Nontholon, thank you for the kind offer - I might yet have to get back to you on that one.
    Lily, I'm going to give your hotel a call to see what they have available - it is only me. If not I'm going to take a look at website Katy's given me. I didn't realise it would be so busy!!
  • How is it going Butterfly?
  • It looks as though you're going to be spoilt for choice for accommodation, Butterfly.  Isn't it great that Talkbackers are so supportive of each other!
  • Amboline, thank you for the wonderful off and for routing for me. If I were to win the winner of winners award it would be amazing. I've got a couple more places to look at then I'll get in touch if I need more help. I'm almost considering just coming up for the day by train and coming back the same day. It'll depend on the train timetable as to the phesobililty of it.
    Montholon, Amboline are either of you attending the prizegiving?
    I've had five emails back from B&B's saying they're full so back to square one. There is still time, thankfully. I don't want to impose unless I really have to. :)
  • Stop laughing!!!

For that weird word that escaped from my brain and into the computer - phesobililty  it should have been as I'm sure you are all aware -

Feasibility

You can tell I didn't check the spelling on word with this one can't you? My dyslexic brain had an oops!
  • Morning Butterfly,

Should you choose the day trip option, consider commuting by 'plane.
    Internal flights can be cheaper than rail fares. Exeter to Edinburgh (£30-00) rather than train (£124-00) was compared last year.
  • I'm not attending the prizegiving myself, but I hope that it goes really well for all who do.
  • Yes Amboline,
    I agree.

However, 'planes operate regardless and internal flights use smaller, more efficient, machines than the gargantuan fuel guzzling and fume ridden inter-country aeroplanes.
  • Hi Butterfly - I hope you will find somewhere to stay soon. I'm only going for the day so I'm not staying overnight. Have you tried any hotels in Leeds? Looking forward to meeting you and Lily on the day.
  • Hi everyone, I've given up on getting somewhere to stay and I'll be driving up in the early hours so I get to Harrogate around 11:30. I've looked at the train prices - Yikes!! and the plane I didn't do as I've never flown (something I must do sometime). So driving up seems the best option.
    I will be there I only hope the traffic on the M1 isn't too bad and my little car can cope. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
  • It's your choice, of course, but the offer of a room at my place is still open, if you change your mind.
  • PS  If you're driving, it's only a few miles further up the A1.
  • Absolutely right, Amboline. I live in Ripon, which is 4 miles off the A1 and only 11 miles or so from Harrogate down the A61.

I agree too that Butterfly shouldn't drive herself (literally) to the point of exhaustion.  It's far too dangerous.
  • Hi Butterfly, I am going to be staying over at the Majestics after all. My fiance thought it'd be nice to stay over rather than rush back. Are you still planning on going for the day?
  • Hi All, sorry for the length of time it has taken to get back to you all. Thank you so much for caring so much. I'm currently trying to work out a way that someone else will come along and share the driving. Which will be better and if they do, we might be able to share a twin room and then I'll not panic. I've sent off a few more emails to hotels, etc but haven't heard back yet. Only sent them tonight. Oh, I forgot to say, I'm not very good at finding places, so lets hope what ever I do re accomadation, I've got to get there first. I've planned my route and will pass it by you all at a later date once I know what is actually happening.
  • Hi All, I'm coming. I'm going to stay at the Majestic too. I've a friend coming with me and we are sharing a twin room. So I'll be there. I catch up with you Helen and any one else staying at the hotel, or going to the prizegiving. Can't wait to meet you all in person.
  • Ooh, you posh pair!  Glad you got it all sorted out Butterfly as it would have been a real shame if you couldn't have gone. 
  • Thanks Lily, I'm now waiting for the confirmation booking from the Majestic. I'm presuming its okay as I said in my email I wouldn't be able to let them know until Wednesday. Fingers crossed.
  • That's great - look forward to meeting you both, and anyone else attending. Also, Lily I noticed in the 'Writers' News' magazine that one of your  messages on Talkback was mentioned. Congratulations on the sale of your short story to People's Friend. I must've missed that message on Talkback. It is really good news for you.
  • I have won the Self Published Non Fiction prize for www.railwaywomen.co.uk and live in Hastings! 267 miles away! We are going to drive halfway the afternoon of 2nd and stay at a hotel there, rather than in Harrogate. Up early and only 100 miles to go to arrive there at 12 -ish.

I did enquire into train fares and it was £98 each for the two of us plus hotel - more than my entire prize money.

I've read much of this thread but cannot find what awards you all have won.

Helena
  • Hi Helena Wojtczack, my win was for the foster mother competition. My story was Butterfly Cakes.
  • Hello Helen W. Well done on your book.  It sounds a really interesting subject and I look forward to meeting you in person.  I won the Writing Mag summer ghost story competition.  I am told it will appear in the May issue, out in mid-April.  I'll be away when that issue comes out as it's my birthday the same week.  I'll have to wait until the week after to see if I am identifiable in the very small photo!

Helen C.  Thanks for that.  In fact I've now sold 2 to PF and the cheque for the  2nd just arrived this morning.  PF are such fast payers compared with other mags. 

Well girls, what are we all wearing for our big day?
  • OMG you're thinking about OUTFITS already?

Well to tell the truth, I bought a red and gold salwaar kameez via Ebay a few weeks ago, and on me - a size 30! - it is outrageously flamboyant. Shall I wear it? Dare me!
  • Ooh yes.  And a large hat!
  • Congratulations to the prizewinners, then!  Have a great day...
  • Have fun on the day, but hats-NO!
  • Aww Carol... No hats at all?  Well, I suppose that's sensible as I am the world's most accident prone person and if I went in a hat I'd just end up sitting on it.  I need clothing that won't malfunction by popping open or causing me to trip up.  Also I get hot when I'm nervous so something with a bit of ventilation would be good! 
  • "Prizewinners are automatically invited, but guests and other writers who want to go have to pay £25 a ticket."

Incorrect - they only have to pay £25 for lunch, or at least that is the way I am reading my return slip. In fact, it is ambiguous and I am going to email Lorna.
  • Helena, I think it is £25 for the ticket which includes a buffet lunch. I've just recieved my tickets. The compliments slip says attached tickets for the Annual Prize giving. The tickets themselves: Yellow for winners, pink for guests have Annual Prizegiving and buffet lunch printed on them. I think the £25 is for the whole event not just the lunch.
    Lily, Helen and Helena, I'm looking forward to meeting you all on the 3rd. It should be a good day.
  • Looking forward to meeting you all as well. I see now how they fund these awards, by charging your partner £25 to come and see you accepting it!
  • I have just booked us into the Travelodge at Blyth (M1) an extra-large double room which can accommodate three, with ensuite bathroom, for £15.
  • Helena, that is an amazing price. How far is that from the venue?
    Lets hope we get a really good buffet. I've written to tell them of my allergies, I don't know if they'll be anything there I can eat, so I'll be brining my own snacks in my case. Sad but you don't want to see me swelling up like a hippo, not a pleasant sight.