Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self Made Man

edited February 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I wondered if any other Talkbackers had read "Self Made Man" by Norah Vincent. Through adopting a male 'costume' and taking some tips on how to be convincing as a male, it's a non-fiction account of the experiences Norah has as she passes herself off as a man for a year, deliberately in a man's world. Among other things, she joins a bowling team, goes to a strip club, goes internet dating, takes part in a 'wild man' weekend and even joins a monastery for a month. 

I bought a copy last year after an extract appeared in the Guardian. It's an absolutely fascinating read, especially for its glimpses into the male psyche and how much men are as (or possibly more) constrained by societal expectations as women. If you're looking for a book that makes you think about the huge role gender still plays in the world, this is excellent reading.
  • I heard about it, when it came out.
    Women have 'become' men and been soldiers, sailors and such at various times in history, and it's only been at their death that the truth has been discovered. There are a few known cases that have been written about, but I would think it was harder to be convincing as a man then than now.
    The most important things to remember to have any chance of success would be how you walk, posture, pitch of voice and mannerisms.
  • I read an interview with her when the book first came out where she apologised to the men whose lives she'd infiltrated. I'm not casting aspersions on her sexual bent but there was a definite bias against females before her first words were ever put down on paper.