Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in March's magazines?

edited February 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in March's magazines, due out today?
  • We're all agog
  • I'm in! They've given me the lead story in the Members News section, for my anthology, Eves of Destruction. I'm chuffed to bits but am also kicking myself as I forgot to tell them about my recent change of web address. But the links to the collection on lulu are all there so hopefully people will find the book if they're interested.
  • Well done SallyQ.
    My post hasn't been yet, and I'm off for the Friday shopping trial, so I'll be looking out for it when I get home.
  • Well done SallyQ. I've not read it yet, it has just dropped through the letter box. I can't wait for this evening when I can curl up with a steaming hot mug of tea and delve in.
  • Think I might be in there, but I haven't got my copy yet...
  • I've got a competitions calendar, which anyone can access here http://my.calendars.net/sallyquilford

Comps are listed by their closing date and links go straight to the website.

I try to keep it in date and to put things in well ahead, so I hope it helps.
  • Congratulations, Sally! I haven't seen a copy yet - not sure if there was nothing in the post or if it's just late today.
  • Just arrived back from a hike to Tesco, to find a little Talkback comment of mine in Writers' News. Hehe, of all the comments to use!
  • Well done, Sally Q.  I made the shortlist for the short story competition again - always the bridesmaid ... One day, I'm determined that it will be my beaming face in the top left hand corner!
  • I am like Amboline; way behind on reading the magazines.  I know he will sympathise when I say for the past five weeks I have been decluttering 21 years of accrued belongings.  My husband's Head Office is closing and moving from Surrey to Antwerp.  It is the reason I haven't been on the boards for ages.  It is only a few months there and then we will be moving somewhere on a more permanent basis.  It will still be out of the UK though. As we will then be letting the property out I have to make sure that every nook and cranny is cleaned/cleared.  I should perhaps keep a diary and maybe there will be a story out of the adventure;a travelling grandmother:-)

Congratulations Monthalon, you'll crack it I am sure.  Wherever we end up I have sent off my cheque for Swanwick as I still intend to go.
  • Well done, Montholon!
  • I'm sitting at work (busy and bored; not a good combination) and the news that the March mag has been sent out has just made my day! Thanks guys!
  • Sorry Sally, I should have said congratulations to you too.
  • Congratulations Sally.  I would love to hear about the technical route you took to paperback publication.  Was it difficult?
  • By the way, I am in too, but nothing so grand as a lead. I creep in by way of members news extra
  • Looking forward to seeing you at Swanwick, Rosemary.
  • Thanks everyone.

Margaret, I self-pubbed via lulu and though it was hard work, making sure it all looked okay, it was worth it. The best thing about lulu is that unlike a lot of self-publishing outfits you don't have to pay anything up front and you don't have to buy any of the books yourself if you don't want to. I was also lucky in that I had a proper editor proofread it for me free of charge, and then he passed it onto his daughter-in-law, a publisher, who formatted it properly. But I learned a lot from them so that if/when I do it again I could probably manage it myself. Then a friend did an original cover for me because I'm no graphic artist.

What I liked about self-publishing is that I had complete control over the finished product. What went in, what stayed out. I took advice from friends in the business, but really it was all down to me so it felt good that first day I was able to put it up for sale.

In fact I'm thinking of self-pubbing my NaNo novel but I need to finish writing it first!
  • Yay, for the first time I've received my WM in the post on the same day as Jay asked his 'Who's in...' question.  And, for the second month in a row, I've actually finished the previous month's issue.  I think I need a lie-down, all this efficiency is making me feel faint.
  • I've just read some Talkback quotes in Writer's News, IslandGirl was there, and Nanastew. Nice to see people's names I recognise!
  • Lovely to read about so much involvement/feedback between the mags and the board.

My copies came today and, just as last month (newly resubscribed) I luxuriated in a long lie in, reading every word, planning which comps to write for etc. I have MS so an excuse for a lie in is a good thing as it gives me the rest I sometimes forget to have.
  • Stan got a mention in the regular column; and Jenny featured in it's a funny old world with her interesting and amusing historical facts in WN.
  • Congrats to those who are featrued in the March edition. I've not received my copies yet, so I've not seen my name in print - I can hardly wait!
  • Are you up to date yet Stan? Hopefully you now have your copy.
    Nice photo of Gary in the book review section.
  • Thanks Carol!!! Even though I knew it was in there, it was still a surprise to see my name and the review. Didn't quite hit home until I was round my Mum's yesterday and picked up the copy that she'd bought as a momento ("to mark the glorious occasion"), and saw my ugly mug staring back at me!!!
  • Plus I can say now that I've shared magazine space with Ian Rankin!!!
  • He's probably saying proudly that he shared magazine space with you!!!
  • My magazines have now arrived, though I've not had much time to read them yet - though I did look at the Talkback section with me name in it.