Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creative or not?

edited February 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Do you have a partner who is also 'creative'?  Are your friends creative too? I was thinking about this the other day and noticed that my partner is not really creative (he's in IT!)My friends, all except two, aren't really either. I wonder if that hinders me in some way? Hmmm
  • Hehehehe. I shouldn't have really left it at that. But no, he's not creative at all. His idea of creativity is to tie the hook on his fishing line with a different knot. His idea of being funny is to say, "Pull my finger".  His idea of....Oh, good grief, now you've got me started!
  • I married a Scientist- creative? No. Strange though my kids all are in their own way- photography, writing and drawing.
  • My partner is also a writer. We do have creative differences, though.
  • I actually think Scientists are very creative, esp. Dawkins, Hawking, Roger Penrose. Some of the things these scientists deduce involving thinking a long long way outside of the box.

One of my favourite stories (probably a myth but still) is set a science convention. During one presentation one of the scientists wanted to use an overhead projector, but it was too low on the screen. So he got a book to raise it up. That raised it too high. So he asked around the room for a book half the size of the one he used, but no-one had one. Eventually he was left scratching his head. And none of the geniuses in the audience could find a solution. Then, an attendant standing at the side of the stage, strode forward, lifted the projector, opened the book on the middle page, then laid it flat, still open, and but the projector back down. Voila, perfect fit.

Just thinking it through, it's got to be a myth, because you can adjust the display using the triangular thingy on the top, but I think it's a nice story anyway...
  • My partner Daniel and I worked very hard together for 2 years to re-build a derelict 200 yr old barn and turn it into an eco-friendly house. I think that was creative of both us really, and we had to solve lots of problems as we went along.

(in fact, doing the barn was what has inspired my first ever book which is to be published later this year).
  • I'm a painter as well and through that activity have met lots of other local artists over the last few years.  Most of my close friends aren't creative.  My husband is an engineer by training and works in IT/telecoms, but has been doing woodturning for some time; we exhibit together at the Open Studios event. Both of my daughters have a strong creative streak and are my first readers.
  • Dorothyd. See what I mean? Thinking outside the Box by the Russians. Genius!!!
  • My husband is more practical than creative overall, although he has a very creative sense of humour.
  • Just like Anyanka, my other half is an engineer working in It and also loves working with wood. Are they twins? Seriously though, I keep a separate set of friends for writing - my writers group- who I can discuss writing matters with and read my work to without the inevitable blank expressions or yawns that I know I would get from my partner or family/friends. You have to be a writer yourself to want to spend a lot of time talking about it or sharing your ideas with another writer, and I don't think I'd want to be married to one - when would we get a real life away from the computer??? Having different jobs and hobbies helps us bring some variety into our conversations! My daughters are a pianist and a dancer (at a non-professional level) so there is creativity in the family but it's a very different kind.
  • My apologies to all partners who are science based, obviously they are creative, unlike mine.
    Although, ask him to create vast family trees on computer without using these special programmes, he can do it- so perhaps he is creative after all.
  • My husband is very creative - he creates chaos as he's the untidiest person imaginable
  • My husband is very creative, but also practical; he built our house in his spare time!  He writes excellent travel articles.  Our daughter is more creative than either of us and both she and our son are very musical.  However, none of us is problem free!                         
  • Having heard about your offspring, I'm wondering if creativity is a case of nature or nuture?! Neither of my parents are creative so I'm hoping it's not nature. (Either that or I've just found out I am in fact adopted! Arrghh!)
  • My other half is a painter, graphic designer and musician, so I can safely say that yes, he's creative.  Same with many of my friends, a lot are musicians, and my best friend is an artist.
  • On the other hand Monkeynuts,

Attributes often jump a generation or more. You may have a market leading ancestor.
  • That's an interesting point, Jan. I was thinking about my family as a whole; my younger sister has clear artistic ability and my aunt is a retired art teacher. They seem to be the only 2 members of my immediate family that fall into the 'creative pot'. I'm actually thinking about researching my family tree now. Were any of my ancestors writers? Hmmmm.
  • I think I like having a partner who is different to me in terms of creativity. I can understand how it could be suffocating to share the same interests.
    He's really accepting and understanding when it comes to my writing, although I'm sure he doesn't always understand my obsession! Ha-ha.