Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Crime writing women

edited January 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Just reading an article in the Guardian, which made me think.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2002351,00.html

What do you think?
  • It’s a really interesting article, thanks for pointing it out. I often find I have conversations about this subject with my partner (who is also a writer) and we conclude a similar thing. Reading and writing scenes of horrific violence is a way of channelling our anger about what we see in the world, understanding and containing it. Most crime novels do have a retribution at the end, whereas in real life the abusers often get away with their crimes.
  • I think as well its a way to get out frustrations that are closer to home, I know if I've had a really stressful time, my poor characters suffer terribly.
  • I'll have to get a copy of that, sounds interesting.
  • I honestly think that if I hadn't been writing the book I am working on I think I would have either killed someone or have been sectioned by now (I was diagnosed with depression in 2001, and still suffer time to time).

I love Val Mcdermid, especially her Tony Hill novels (I have already reserved her new novel on Amazon, even though it isn't released until July).  While reading one of her books, I was drinking a mug of coffee, by the time I realised the mug handle was caught in my tight clenched fist.  I love that adrenaline rush.  What I hate is blood 'n' guts descriptions.  Two years ago I was going on holiday to Scotland, so I decided to buy my first Ruth Rendall novel.  Opening the book on the three hour train journey from Newcastle to Stirling, I never made it past the first chapter.  It was revolting.  I want to be frightened, not repulsed by a description of a body infested with maggots.  I don't like Martina Cole or Nicci French either, but I think that is more to do with character.  I want to get in their heads, and that is exactly what Val McDermid and Ian Rankin do.

Saying that though, the novel I am working on now is a reworking of my first manuscript (actually all you could recognise is the characters),and I recieved this rejection from Darley Anderson:
    Women don't read this kind of book, and men won't buy it.
    The protaganist is male, and she rejected it on that basis, without even bothering to read the sample chapters to see if I could carry off a male voice.  What still really annoys me, is that when I choose books the protaganists are mainly male, but I don't choose a book like that, I look for a strong plot and excellent writing.  So what Darley Anderson was saying is a cliche.  My work is targeted at women like me and my friends: 18 to 26, intelligent, who don't want to be told what they should like and what they shouldn't.  I have forgiven Darley Anderson, seeing they ended the letter with "may be wrong, could be a bestseller".  Not bad going having your first rejection letter complete with an Agent bothering to write a comment in their own handwriting, so I must have some talent hidden somewhere.

Mind you, I did laugh out loud reading that Val McDermid covers her eyes during Casualty.  This from a woman that in her last Tony Hill novel was killing Prostitutes by insering razor blades into a dildo!.
  • ew, thanks for revealing that! my partner was so angry when she read that book she threw it at the wall and said it would be better if I didn't read it!
  • I've glanced through a few of these authors books and they are just not my thing, perhaps it is too much blood and gore for my taste.
    Stirling, I hope you will try someone else and persevere. They sounded like they stereotype too much.