Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in January's magazines?

edited December 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• OK, it's midnight, and no one's got their copy yet. There might be something in the flashes about yours truly.
  • You have your Janaury copy already?
  • It's due out today. Not sure when it will arrive, though.
  • Mine hasn't arrived today, so perhaps tomorrow or Monday.
  • No, mine's not arrived yet. Has anyone been to WH Smith's?
  • I was in Smith's this morning but it was so busy, and there were no gaps to getting around to look at things, so I didn't see if it was in.
  • Haven't got mine yet either, but then I haven't finished December's...
  • It was on Tescos magazine stand in Trowbridge at 8am this morning.
  • Yes! Page 13 of Writers' News in the Flashes column. It mentions the video clip used for 'All About Sex'. You can see it, too, at www.bewrite.net/bookshop/excerpts/all_about_sex.htm (and there's still time to buy the book for Christmas! Only £1 if you buy the e-book direct from the publishers).
  • My postie doesn't get here until at least eleven, the other day it was three o'clock.I'll be waiting with baited breath!
  • A lot of people get mentions because of book signings.
  • See you've got two mentions Jay.
    Island Girl and I get a mention for our contributions to Annie's question about the magazines writing competitions and how we get and use ideas for them.
    Then there's the column for news from Talkback, where Jay gets a second mention with Niddy, Hippo,Tilly,Wilgetthere,and Miranda.
  • I've not seen it yet, as my copy hasn't arrived, but I've been told 'Butterfly Cakes' my story for the Foster Parent writing comp is in the Writers News. Let me know your thoughts please.
  • Found it, will have a read. Good to see what you look like Butterfly. Hope your copy arrives today.
    There's also a questionaire on both magazines, so let's make sure we give the Editor our opinions.
  • I got mine the other day and I read your story, Butterfly, it was really good. I really liked it.
  • Really liked the story Butterfly. The little girl's feelings came over so well and naturally, and you immediately sensed her fears and bad experiences. Very well done, it deserved to win.
  • Mine has not arrived as yet. Ahhhhhh
  • I knew someone would know exactly what to say.
  • Well done everyone. I hope Wilgethere sees his name after his departure from Talkback.

This month there's a sitcom feature.  I'm very happy to have something on screenwriting again - thank you WM.  Please can I have some more?!

I will certainly mention it on my feedback form, which I plan to answer carefully too. 
  • Helen and Carol, I was quite worried about the critique but now seeing my own copy I'm really pleased with it. Thank you all for your lovely comments. This experience has been wonderful. Waiting for the magazine with trepidation and excitement. When it arrived I wanted to tear open the cellophane and flick through to my story. Then inside a little voice was saying, what if it isn't any good? Silly I know but it was there. Then I saw it and couldn't help smiling. I showed the girls at work one of which said: Oh, I might write a book, if you can do it anyone can. I have to say it made me feel a little deflated. But then I came back her to such lovely comments. Thank you. Each writing achievement for me is special. I was told at school, many moons ago that I'd never write due to my dyslexia. But I can and although the fear is still there I now feel more confident and each time I get something in print it is like another layer of the 'you can't do it film' taken off. So again thank you.
  • No disability should stop anyone from achieving their ambitions. I have a couple of writing friends who are dyslexic, and it has never stopped them either.
    Winning one of the WN/WM competitions is a big plus.
    The woman at work is like so many who come out with comments like that-jealous.
    Celebrate your successes, and work on the next one. And if you send any stories off to magazines make sure you mention your win in this short story competition, an example of your skill and competence.
  • Well done everyone!
  • Still not got my copy as yet. I know I live in Northern Ireland but our post is still usually next day delivery.
  • I've found items are being delivered at least three days later than normal. A book I was expecting should have reached me Friday, but didn't turn up until this morning.
    If it hasn't arrived by the end of the week, get in touch with the magazine for a replacement.
  • Hi Butterfly,

Well done with the short story, don't let people deflate you! Im constantly amazed by the things people say! but let that spur you on to greater determination, and let steel enter your eyes!
  • Oooohh, this will take my mind off other matters.  Mine's just arrived so I'll rush upstairs to read it...

Many Congratulations, Butterfly.  I love short stories so I'll give you the benefit of my no doubt hurriedly considered opinion soon.... Yaaay - we're all becoming famous :O)
  • When I mention I go to a writing group, most people assume it's either to learn calligraphy or to improve my handwriting!
  • Loved that last Post Jenny , I  actually laughed out Loud. Thanks for that.
  • Jenny that made me smile too.
  • Well done on the story Butterfly.  I thought you captured the characters very well.  Sometimes I've been a bit disappointed by the winning stories in these competitions, but your win was well deserved.
  • Still not got mine yet its driving me nuts. Before I became a subscriber I  bought mine as soon as it was released. Now the month is half way through and still no magazine.
  • Butterfly - a lovely story, so well written and so heart-warming too.
  • Tessa T, Lily, Vijay, Annie Wicking and Stan2,
    Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments. I'm thinking of using this story as an inspiration for a children's book. What do you think?
    Annie: Keep at it. You will get there. I'm constantly learning new techniques to help me through. I've learnt to read my work in two different ways when editing. Firstly read as normal, red pen at the ready. Then read each sentence forward - a word at a time, then backward - word at a time. It may sound weird, but you notice more readily the incorrect words. They seem to stand out and shout 'I'm in the wrong place'. I also have issues with punctuation, but that is improving. I have notes all around with important points of grammar Past and passed is one I have great trouble with and often have put hear for here. These are the obvious things, the times when the words start to wobble, usually mean I need to rest as I don't often get that anymore. I hope this helps. Keep at it. It is worth it.
    Eviane: I hope you get your copy soon.
    Ps. I always write my posts in word and check them before sending - mind I've noticed a few errors at times.
  • Butterfly,
    I got my copy this morning and read your story. I had a lump in my throat. I loved the story. I just wanted to put my arms around Mia and tell her everything would be alright. I think Louise did the better job though. I liked the idea of the hiding place under the table. We all have one, young or old, some place to feel safe.
    Without going over board with the praise I want to acknowledge your achievement with your dyslexia. Both my sons are dyslexic and have had to over come a system that labels them as stupid.
    Where did The idea for the story and the obvious empathy you as the writer had for Mia come from?
  • I also was labelled as stupid and it has lived with me always. Inside I know I'm not, but it is there, lurking around waiting to jump up and say 'See I told you didn't I?' Support is what you need. And that is what I've found through my writing friends at Winchester Writers Circle, through my writing circle and here on talkback.

You ask how I empathised with Mia: Firstly the lovely picture that went with the entry details gave me an idea of Mia. The other things came from leaning on how I have felt through my dyslexia and hiding in the school cloak room after being laughed out of the class because I couldn't spell chicken and was made to write it on the board five times, each time was incorrect. I fled. I suppose that helped.
    I can still remember it vividly. Many incidents like this gave me lots to lean on when writing. It makes my writing better or at least I hope it does.
    When writing an argument I've been known to get so involved in the argument on screen that when I've been telephoned I picked it up and shouted at the person on the other end. I now don't answer the phone when writing. I let the answer phone do it for me.
  • Hello Butterfly,

You can tell from your writing how involved you are with your characters. You bring them to life on the page.
    Your memory of school reminded me of an writing exercise our group was given. It was to write a piece of dialogue between two people. The one I picked I call "Going Back" It was set in a primary school and involved a father going back to his old school to pick up his child. He meets a teacher who had been a bully and humiliated him when he was nine. I tell you it really cleared the air.

Alhough the humiliation had happened, the meeting of  the teacher did not, at least in the place called reality. It really did take place in my mind as I put it down on paper.

I find that more and more of Martin(thats me)is reaching the page as i continue to write.
  • I think the more real life experiance you can bring to your work the better the work is. It lives and breaths. That is what we want it to do. Keep putting yourself in there Martin and you'll love the results.
  • Just read your story, Butterfly. You wrote it with such understanding - of the adults as well as the little girl - no wonder it won. Congratulations!
  • Boo, I don't get Writers' News, only Writing Magazine - feeling out of the loop...Carol, is the column on Talkback in WN?  I'm intrigued to know what pearls of wisdom(!?) from Hippo were included.  Ta.  Maybe I'll have to splash out and extend my subscription to WN in 2007...am I right in thinking, though, that it's more geared towards freelance/professional writers, eg with info about markets etc.  As I'm focussing on my novel right now and get plenty of info from WM, I wonder if WN would be worth a look or not?
  • I would say get both by subscription, better value. They do have stuff relevant to novelists too in WN.
    The News from Talkback is in WN.
    This is the item of yours that was  quoted: 'Well, this week I broke through the 50,000 word mark on my first draft- I know it's quality not quantity that counts.....I find the words come much faster and more easily if I do a sensible amount of thinking and planning ahead.'
    I've quoted the beginning and the end, but I'm sure you'll know which thread it's from.
  • Should also add that many of the marketplace items are applicable to those who are not full time or professionals.
    I'm sure a few members of the forum have had work published as a result of items mentioned, as I remember someone mentioning it a few months ago.
  • Thank you Jenny, I'm overwhelmed by all these positive comments. Thank you all.
  • Terrific story Butterfly and very nicely put together - a pleasure to read. Congratulations.

Hippo, definitely take the pigeon pair - you'll find you'll get more than you imagined from both publications. They are well worth it.
  • Well done you!  And keep going...

I've been in and out of hospital so have yet to read the issue.  But well done.  It seems to take some doing.  I've never tried; been rather put off!
  • Carol, thanks for letting me know what was featured from me in WN and thanks also to you and Island Girl for steering me in the direction of a double subscription - I'll definitely do that in the New Year.
  • I too enjoyed Butterfly's story.
    It just shows that a successful story doesn't always needs twists and turns, simplicity works too - you have inspired me, Susan!
  • Grannylonglegs thank you so much for your words. I've also been inspired by all the wonderful comments about my story. If I'm honest I was expecting some people not to have liked it, but nothing so far. This has made me feel really positve about my writing. Now I have to manage to write like this again. At least I'm going to try. Merry Christmas to all talkbakers.
  • Butterfly, just wanted to say I found it a very moving & well written story, one of the best competition winners I've read. I thought you captured the vocabulary and thoughts of a child brilliantly.
  • Ali, thank you so much that is indeed high praise. Here's to a brilliant New Year to us all.
  • Oh dear. I've got confused again! Just started a new thread about January magazines because I couldn't find this one! Of course I've found it now. My tutor tips are on page 35 of WM, with 2 misprints, including the town where I live! No-one will notice except me.