Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Have you ever kept your writing desire a secret?

edited January 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I currently work for an Investment Bank and I basically deal with numbers all day long. (Not my wisest choice in life but hey, it pays the mortgage!) However, not one of my colleagues actually knows a thing about my love for writing. Is that odd? Am I just a complete nut-nut?!
  • Not necessarily, I’ve kept quiet about it before now if I feel that I’m in an environment where it won’t be respected. There have been times that I’ve had snide remarks and even open hostility directed towards me for being a writer, I wonder if it’s the same as any other form of jealousy or discrimination against the ‘different’.
  • I kept quiet for years and then I had my mid-life crisis and announced my intention to be a writer and a few other things (?), including telling my boss, at the time, that I would rather show my **se in Woolworths window before working for her again...then I left never to return.  But I wouldn't necessarily recommend that course of action to anyone! :)
  • I guess that is why I keep it quiet. The guys I work with are so critical at the best of times and I feel very different to them, writing aside. Never wanting to be centre of attention anyhow, I suppose I keep it under wraps to avoid the torrent of abuse I'd more than likey receive! I think I actually quite like keeping it a secret though. It allows me to 'escape' without them ever knowing!
  • No, I don't keep it secret. If they look at me like I'm a crackpot I just say, well it's better than bingo!
  • Definitely is better than bingo!

I'm getting braver with coming out as a writer, and it's easier now I'm more widely published because I'm less likely to get sneers (oh you think you're a writer do you, where's the bestseller then? etc.)

Agree that it's nice to have it as a secret sometimes.
  • I wonder why it is often viewed as a 'mad' hobbie/job/love by people. I must admit that I've listened to quite a lot of views about writing over the years and I've heard some really critical things like, "Every writer suffers from manic depression," (will never forget that one!) or,"it's those geeks that write, innit" (that actually came from a member of my family!!) Ha-ha, it's actually quite bizarre!
  • I have never kept it secret, but have also never put it as an occupation although it is almost central to my life now.  Despite being retired, I have another occupation during the summer months.
  • Yes. I had to pretend I knew nothing about the odd pages that were found jammed from time to time in the photocopier.
  • My friends and family know I am a writer, but as for people I work with, frankly, it has nothing to do with them.  When they ask me what I will do with my degree, I just say either research or publishing.

As for being called 'mad', I already know I am.  Who in their right mind would leave their full time job, to move from Northumberland to Central Scotland (I am still living with my parents) to study at Stirling University and accrue at least £16,000 in debt?.
  • I've never kept it a secret as an adult, as a teenager my family knew I wanted to be a journalist, but they never knew about all my story writing I did at night.
    I've not had a problem with other people's reactions, usually when they ask what I've written or had published, I tell them about my articles in the online magazine I contribute to, the few bits in the local paper etc, and usually that stops any adverse remarks.
  • I never kept my writing desire a secret.  I have always been very open about the hobby I have always enjoyed.
    As a young teenager I wanted to become a journalist and I studied it while at high school, discovering I was better at feature articles or fiction writing.
    I did work for a newspaper/magazine company but only as an office worker/PA for the editor.  I really enjoyed the job and company.  I also had a few discussions about my own fiction writing.
    I like to share my writing with everyone in my life.
    Alana
  • Nenastew5, I have kept my writing a secret from my family too. When I posted the question I actually realised that it isn't just my work colleagues who don't know about it, it is my family too. In fact, there are only 2 people who do actually know: my partner and my best friend. I wonder if it is because I know they will not understand why it is so important to me. Hmm...