Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Magazines advertising

edited January 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Having just seen the 'Take A Break' magazine advert yet again, that must be the fourth time in the last three hours on ITV 3. Anymore and I'll throw something at the screen.
    Even Woman's Weekley has started advertising in the back of Mills and Boon books.
    Something is going on in the magazine market. Anyone noticed any unusual areas of advertising going on- magazine advertisments appearing where they don't usually?
  • I guess you live in the UK?
    On the other side of the world I have purchased recent published Mills & Boon books but they have only advertised at the back 'new books'.
    Alana
  • I think there's a lot more competition out there for magazines and a lot of independents and niche markets coming out. My own mag (www.velvet-mag.co.uk) is totally independent and not one of these huge corporations. On it's own it is no threat to them, but put together the self-publishing mag industry must threaten the big companies somewhat.

Also, people's tastes are changing and not so many women want the 'women's mags' anymore.
  • I agree Dorothy.The changes in My Weekly late last year seemed aimed to attract a slightly younger reader 40+. The image and range of articles has a more youthful slant.
    I suspect that Woman's Weekly has suffered in the My Weekly relaunch.
    Plus there are so many magazines in each type, celebrity news (don't we get enough of that everywhere!)real-life stories (such as Take A Break is using in their latest adverts)fashion etc.
    Who has the time.
  • Whilst we're talking 'mags' I note Yours is now fortnightly so they'll be needing twice as many stories and articles.
  • Betsie, I've looked at a few editions of Yours, early last year. Have they made any other changes apart from making it fortnightly?
  • Not sure - it's worth checking if the editor has changed and keeping a watchful eye to see what type of stories/articles he/she goes for.
  • On the subject of Yours, I sent them an SAE several weeks ago, asking for them to send me guidelines for fiction submissions.  Still had no reply.  Does anyone know if they do produce guidelines?
  • Thanks Betsie, I'll have a look at it when I'm next in town.