Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in February's magazines?

edited January 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• It's that time again! Who's in February's magazines, due out today?
  • I'd like to see December's issue!
  • It will get there Kangeroo- not sure when but I'm sure it will.
    I'll be racing back from my usual Friday morning shopping to see if the postman has delivered my copy yet.
  • Got mine, too. Yes, it was me who suggested the poll about secondhand royalties.
  • Several people mentioned on page 28 of Writers' News.
  • Yes Jay, Words from the Writers News Website has a number of Talkbackers mentioned, including me.
  • In Feb's mag of Mr Universe Jay? ...

hang on, I'll just turn to the most well thumbed page of my issue .............. ah,

yes here it is .... ooooh, yes its xxxxxxxxxxxzzzzzsssss

(oops, lost in translation)
  • Mine arrived today but not opened it yet.
    Just staggered in with weekly food shop and sitting here with a cuppa + a piece of choc cake. Doesn't it go dark early?
  • I bought my first issue the other day (January's) and wow, I cant wait to hunt down Febuary's. I would subscribe but i'm at uni and my address changes every 3 months plus I have no money.

Ho hum. I still can't wait though.

:D
  • It was in W.H.Smith when I went in today. The postman delivered my copy just as I was going out shopping. So I rushed home to start reading.
  • Got mine today, early for a change. I wish it was fortnightly, its too long to wait until next month. Some great writing comps as well. i must give them a try.
  • My email story is in Writers' News, I got it last night when I got in from work. It feels quite weird as it's my first story published - just a bit strange to see my own name and photo in the magazine. But it feels great at the same time. I'd love to know what you all think of it! :o)
  • Oops.  Haven't opened mine but it arrived yesterday.
  • Helen, I started a thread on your story without realising it was written by a Talkbacker, not having seen this thread. So every word I said you can take as the honest truth.

Top story. Really well done
  • Is that really you, Bud? Or is it Island Girl?
  • Ah, got it! Both of you started threads about the story.
  • Good morning Jay.
  • Good morning, Island Girl. Usual dreary weather here, I'm afraid. English weather for January or global dimming? Oh, for the long, hot summer of 1976 ... when it wasn't so hot you had to hide inside.
  • We had a day like that here today. 41 celcius. Too hot to handle so spent the arvo in the backyard pool getting burnt. Thankfully, I don't have to go back to work until the kids' school hols are over in a couple of weeks so I'm making the most of it. It's 8:16pm and still warm - air conditioner chugging along at full throttle. Have a good one, Jay.
  • Thanks, Island Girl. You, too - what remains of it.
  • Those were the days, although I did spent much of that summer in Burton on Trent and the hops from the brewery made me ill. (The smell that is).

COngratulations Helen, not got my copy yet but will give it a read when I do.
  • Ahh..thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it, Bud and Dorothy. Your comments have really made me feel more confident about my writing! I hadn't logged on for awhile as I don't have internet at home, unless I pop to the library on a Saturday, I usually use the internet at work. I hadn't seen the thread you'd started on it, Bud. I've just had a look though. Thanks!! :o) Thanks also for your congratulations message, Nephilims child.
  • That summer in 1976 I got badly sunburned in two hours- lobster all over except for where my bikini covered.
    In those days we didn't have the high factor sun blocks like now, so I would be better protected now when exposed to the sun.
    And the sun intensity we get now is vastly different to what it was in the 1960's.
  • Very good story, Helen.  Congratulations!
  • Weather update (I'm sure you're all interested): the sun is out. Island Girl's probably gone to bed by now.
  • Hi, Helen. Just read your story. Very good. There was one sentence I wasn't sure about: "(Sorry, I wasn't going to bring up the 'M' word)". At first I was confused as to who Matt was, but then it got me wondering ...
  • Well done Helen - I really enjoyed your e-mail story.
  • I agree, very well done. I didn't guess that Matt had died until it was mentioned toward the end.
  • Thanks Carol, my issues have only arrived this morning and I've yet to collect them but now I know Matt is dead. And Rosebud was the sled, killjoy!  (Only joking. Truly :)  See? hehehe.) 
  • By the way, Carol, I've read your articles and like them. I'd like to know the name of the medication you took when you lost a stone. :)  I'd have to take several large truckfulls of the stuff, though. Cheers!
  • Won't be much use to you IG unless you're a diabetic.Excuse the long explanation, but it will make more sense.
    As doctors are inclined to do, when new insulins come out,they put as many patients as possible on the new regime- or appear to.
    Well they did this to me with my night time long acting insulin, and it just didn't react as it was supposed to. In fact it mucked up my day time short acting insulin as well. After 18 months I'd had enough and told the doctor either put me back on my previous medication, or try me with a different type (that is meant to do the same thing as the other one.)
    He gave me another one to try and it worked as it should straight away. I was then able to stabilise the day time doses appropriately, and because I wasn't needing as much insulin to do the same job I began to lose weight, and am back to the size I was before they mucked around.
    I don't think we really pay attention to what some medication can do to our bodies, yes it solves a current problem, but can give you others you didn't have before.
    Sorry for sidetracking the thread folks!
  • I worry, too, what effect so much medication
    has on a person, as I have to take many tablets for angina, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.  I know that the result is tiredness and lack of  creativity or maybe this  is just my excuse for not producing more work!

• Verica, I think many people find that the medication they have to take (I have to take blood pressure medication too) although it deals with the medical issue they don't always co-exist easily. I've heard other friends say the same as you.
    If you have had this problem for a while do go and discuss it with your GP. It may just need some adjustments. Be firm.
    It's no wonder you're lacking creativity if you're tired all the time.
  • Congratulations to everyone.  Looks like I'm still banned.
  • You'd better damn not be!
  • Hi Jay - I have just read your reply on here. So do you mean it was a good thing as it got you wondering then?

I'm glad people have enjoyed reading it, I just hope I can think of more now. You never know.
  • Hi, Helen. I wasn't sure if it gave too much of a clue. I realized there was some problem concerning Matt. Without that sentence, I would have just assumed that Matt was away on business.
  • Hi Jay - Oh, I see. I'll have a look at that bit when I get home tonight. I'll reply to you tomorrow. :o)
  • Hope I haven't spoilt the story for anyone who's not read it yet.
  • I think if you read the above comments from...

Carol:        15/01/2007 at 22:06:49 and me,
    Island Girl: 16/01/2007 at 00:42:24

you'll find we've already crossed and burnt that particular bridge, Jay.
  • I had a feeling someone had already mentioned it ...
  • Hi Jay! I had a look at my story last night. I wrote that line as I wanted to show that something is bothering Ruby about Matt. Thanks for mentioning this - you're more experienced than me as you have books published. I'm always open to suggestions and comments. :o)
  • You might want to mention it to a future potential publisher. But I wouldn't worry about it too much - it looks like I'm the only one to be puzzled by it.
  • Thanks Jay, do you mean I could probably send this story out next time to a publisher? I've not read the rules about this actually. :o)
    By the way, I went onto your site to have a look at your work and there's some great comments about your writing, isn't there - good for you! :o)
  • Thanks, Helen. According to the 2007 Competition Programme, "Winning entries may not be submitted elsewhere for twelve months after that [closing] date without permission of Writers' News". So you could submit the story once sufficient time had elapsed, although you'd have to make sure that published work was acceptable (you'd probably have to give details).
  • Thanks for this, Jay. It's really helpful.
    This site is so addictive, I wish I had more time to reply and read other people's messages. I'm at work now, and keep flicking over to this! :o) Better get some work done.
  • Congratulations Helen. I really enjoyed your email story. I'll see you in Harrogate.

I noticed in the talkback area my name was there for the first time. It was great to see it. Another few words in print. It makes up for the last two rejections I've just had.
  • I still cant read it as my magazine still hasnt arrived :(
  • Thanks Butterfly! Yes, I look forward to meeting you at Harrogate in May. I also noticed your name in WN too! I'm trying to think up some stories to send to women's magazines, I've not sold a short story yet. I'll keep trying. Hope your writing is going well. :o)

Hi Nephilims child, hope you get yours soon! I remember when I didn't get mine and when I phoned, they told me my subscription had ran out. I forgot which month I paid up to.
  • I've just had a short story rejection, but I'm soldiering on. I've got two others out, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Mainly I'm waiting for an agent and publisher to get back to me. I've been dragging my heals over starting a new project because should either of the above want to take my proposals further, I don't want to be in the middle of things. Having said that last night I started work on one as it was niggling at me to be written.
    With short stories I think I fail because the magazines mostly seem to want really complicated stories - I seem to write simpler plots character driven and they don't seem to fit. I'll have to try harder.