Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems with renewal of subscription

edited January 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Every year I renew my subscription to WM/WN, I have to prompt Writers New/Magazine that I have done so. Does anyone else experience this?

I renewed last November online as the subscription was due to end Feb 07, and I see here online that everyone (including those in Australia) have received their copies of the February issue and I haven't.

The money has been taken etc, but every year I go through this same problem, having to prompt them that they have not registered my renewal!

I find it so frustrating especially as every issue is a month ahead of itself. All the dates for things in the magazines are for early February, so if you should get it a week or so late you miss out on a great deal.

With Warners Group taking over I would have thought it was improved but obviously not, and I am sure they will use the excuse of me living in Europe as part of the reason!

Miranda
  • My subscription renewal is this month by direct debit. I get my bank statement later in the month, so I check it's there. I've had this months mag.
    Before I switched to DD I did have a problem a couple of years ago. I received a renewal reminder in the September (my renewal was December at that time)offering my annual renewal at the old price, because there was going to be a price increase.
    I did it, but in the December my bank statement showed the new price had been deducted. I rang up and the staff member who dealt with it was very helpful. Couldn't understand why it had happened, and they extended my subscription for that year so I received three extra copies, hence my altered renewal date to February.
    So I'm assuming my DD has gone through okay unless it's missing from my statement.
    But do contact the subscriptions department and chase it up. And ask if there is any reason why you have to prompt the renewal every year. You never know there may be a clitch in the system.
  • As I live in Holland I pay by credit card. I am sent a letter with every copy from about October to remind me to renew, so I did so in November online. And it all came off my credit card according to my statement, on that date.

I have sent them an email to 'remind' them that I have not received it - I always worry that I am too early for the magazine but see here on the website that even people in Australia have received their copies!

I asked them last year why I had to keep reminding them that I had renewed as I have experienced this ever since I moved overseas (2002), but they could not give me answer to that. They are always very helpful once I do email, but I find it frustrating as I sort of wait and wait, just in case it is a postal problem, or sometimes don't realise that I have missed it until a month has passed. And then I have really missed out, even though they send me all the issues I am missing.

I thought maybe with a bigger company taking over it might be different, ie. previously a small office/team dealing with all the subscriptions etc, but it seems not.

Hopefully I will get it soon.
    Miranda
  • hi purplequeen - I'm having the same problem, renewed at turn of year and have not received February issue to date.  I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago and when I queried it was told 'you must have cancelled it' by a rather aggressive unhelpful young female.  I later spoke to a woman on a different number and she put matters right.  I gave the subscription a break after the first time it happened but joined again Dec 05 and thought that with the changes things might have run smoothly.  Does anything ever?!!  I almost feel that I can't be bothered (that's January apathy for you!) but they've cashed my cheque so I have to pursue the goods.  Next years resolution is to shred the renewal and spend the money on stamps for submitting my work to all prospective publishers instead! 
  • Just renewed mine and the Feb mags have arrived
  • Where do you live Betsie? are you in the UK?

I received an email asking me to wait until after the weekend incase it might have arrived. But no confirmation that they have indeed renewed my subscription, but I have assumed they would have checked that firsts.....maybe that was a wrong assumption to make!

Miranda
  • I pay quarterly and Im still waiting for the Feb magazine