Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The debt story competition

edited January 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• I'm thinking of entering but i'm not totally confident about it. I have yet to write anything but have a few ideas. Is it OK to do a story in past tense, so like your character would be explaining how something happened. It's not the usual way I write stories but as soon as I saw the competition, it came into my head straight away.

What do you think about that, is that a bad idea?
  • You can write it anyway you like. There's no set formula.Experiment.
  • You said 'explain'. I don't know how exactly you're going to write it, but beware of telling rather than showing - a judge would probably stop reading something with too much 'tell'.
  • Morning AboutPaula,

One's best work often starts as an impulsive thought. Jot all your ideas down then start stitching them together with flowing phrases.

Go with the flow and you may be surprised how the character begins to guide/direct your scenes. Every writer has to experiment in order to evoke their most pleasing creations.
  • I'd say just do it, especially if you're so inspired by the subject.

However, bear in mind Jay's words.  He's right.  If the story is based on a real event, or series of events, make sure you use your own imagination around characters, place and events.

Sometimes, 'real' life can be too coincidental for words - meaning that readers don't find your fictional story believable.  I know that seems a contradiction in terms but it's true.  I.e. the person who breaks an ankle falling over on way to gym, only to be rescued by orthopaedic surgeon at local hospital!  Or gym instructor or whatever.  Which COULD happen in real life but may not ring as true to readers.  That's telling (especially when story goes "then this" and "then that"), not showing - e.g. character, place, time, events, speech, etc.

All the best with it.  TTx
  • I've sometimes begun a story with a short scene of a character in their current situation, then had most of the story as a 'flashback' to show how they got there -- then returned to the 'now' of the story at the end.

I'm not sure how well that's worked for me, though, and whether or not it'd work for you or not -- but might be worth a thought.

Good luck with the story! My best advice is that already given by others; have a go, and see how  it turns out.