Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Durrrr, I've had an idea

edited January 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Feeling pleased with myself as I've come up with a really useful idea - probably about three hundred years after the rest of you, but hey, some of us our slower than others - I've put a year planner up on the wall above the computer so I can put all the competition closing dates and result dates etc on it.  Saves me spending hours rooting around magazines, websites and pieces of paper trying to remember what competition closes when and so on and so forth. 
  • Good idea - if you have wallspace to spare, which I don't (too many paintings...)

My method:  I dismantle the magazine, picking out the pages with competitions and requests for submission. I write the deadline on top of the page with the competition in red felt tip. Frequently there is more information on a website, which I print out and staple to the magazine page; the whole lot then goes into a box file with the nearest deadline on top.
  • I keep a spreadsheet updated and print it out occasionally and stick it up on my noticeboard over my desk.  Along with all the post it notes of things I really need to remember!!!
  • Yes, bigger walls needed here....
  • As said, good if you have space. Otherwise there is that handy little booklet that came with this month's issues detailing all the competitions.
  • That'll be the handy little booklet I haven't received yet then Carol!!  My postie gets scared of me I think as when certain magazines are due I tend to lurk on the doorstep and grab them from his sweaty little hands!!!
  • Our postman's brilliant, even if he does seem a bit dyslexic at times (he's been known to put our stuff through our neighbours' letterbox, and then write us a note saying what's happened). He even called twice on one day with a parcel when he could see someone was in but didn't answer the door the first time (I was asleep). I've given him a copy of All About Sex, but haven't had a chance to ask him if he was shocked ...
  • Jay let us know when you find out, I always get worked up when I let someone I know read my stuff as some of it is a little graphic at times.  Someone did once say to me that they didnt think I looked the type, the type to what I shall never know though!!!
  • I am grateful to hear about all your ideas involving the competitions and the due dates for it to be postmarked by.
    I had a 2007 Wall Planner up on the wall but I did not even think about writing the postmark dates for the short story competitions.  I have taken your advice and am going to find it very helpful.
    Thank You
    Alana
  • On XP you have a "works callender" you can use this as a normal calender and set it to open every time you switch your PC on. Saves a lot of wall space, it actually streches 100 years into the future which may be a it far for some of us
  • Where do you find it CH? I mean what keys and tabs do you press? I'd be interested in using that.
  • When you first installed XP a number of icons for standard works features would have appeared on desktop such as, calculator, recycle bin, time and date, internet explorer. If you dumped these icons it is very easy to re-install them.Click on start, then programs, then works and there you will find callender, click on that and there you are
  • I use both my electronic calendar (on my PC) and my mobile phone. I set reminders on my calendar so it makes a 'ching' sound and alerts me to get my butt in gear and write! My mobile works in the same way; instead of actually getting a text message, I set it to send me a reminder message. Makes me feel like someone else is giving me the needed boot up the behind!