Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Interview in Sunday Times- Terry Pratchett

edited December 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2508051_1,00.html

This is an interview with Terry Pratchett, entitled Sod the Booker (sorry Webbo, but if the Sunday Times can use it in a title, it can't be offensive!!!)
    I haven't read any of his stuff, but I really enjoyed the interview, not in depth stuff, but the tape recorder malfunctions that seem to occur when he's interviewed is  slightly amusing.
  • What did you think of it, and how he came over in it?
  • Thanks for that Carol.  I quite liked it.  Mostly what I imagined he would be like.  Was a bit surprised by the Rowling/Potter link.  Apart from sharing some of the characteristics of fantasy novels, I can't quite see where the Potter books copy off the Discworld novels.
  • That escaped me too MDD. I assumed he meant that that the way it was done, subject etc.
    I've heard one of his books serialised on book at bedtime- last year. Sounded fun, but I don't think it would keep my attention long enough to finish.
  • I like Terry Pratchett because he wears a big floppy hat and has a daughter called Rhianna (so have I (daughter, not the hat)). He is also a very keen astronomer and has his own mini-observatory in his garden! So there.

His Discworld novels get very repetitive though, and he tries a bit too hard to be funny sometimes. However, if you want to read just one, try 'Reaper Man' in which Death decides to take a holiday.

His very first novel, 'The Carpet People' about the tiny tribes that live in the rug, is brilliant.
  • That one 'Reaper Man' was the one I heard as a Book at Bedtime on Radio 4- twice.
  • My favourite will always be "Wierd Sisters" the bit where Nanny Ogg's cat eats Dracula in his bat form them commnts "just coz its got wings its still a mouse" How like a cat!
  • I enjoy his children's books - the Wee Free stories are really funny.
  • I love all his books, including the Tiffany Aching stories for children.  My favourites, though, are the ones about the witches, especially 'Equal Rites'.
  • I think Terry P is brilliant, a very clever and knowledgeable writer.

I've met him a couple of times, the last time completely unrelated to writing - a Steeleye Span gig in Salisbury.  I was asking to speak to the fiddle player Peter Knight, and his other half said he was talking to a writer he admired, so me being me I said, 'Which writer?'  When she told me, I scanned the foyer, and there he was - the hat is unmistakeable :o)  He was very nice to me both times I met him, and I have a lot of respect for him.
  • I have to agree, TaffetaPunk, that he is a very nice man.  I'm a great fan of his books and we re-read them for sheer pleasure.  We have a house rule that we can't laugh out loud when we read a Pratchett book - or say 'Oh, listen to this bit' - as it is just too annoying.  My son bought one of his books last year for my husband's birthday and got it signed in a Glasgow bookshop.  At the time my husband had a bad back and Terry Pratchett signed the book with a comment hoping that his back would soon improve, and even suggested his own chiropractor (apparently he suffers from back problems too).  My favourite is 'Reaper Man' too, Death is a wonderful character.
  • I was looking forward to seeing the Pratchett film on the TV recently and then discovered that it was on one of the Sky channels which I don't have with my Freeview Box. Grrrr!