Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Labelled books - easier to choose

edited December 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I had only read one Harlequin Mills & Boons novel in the past.  I found the story was too descriptive for my liking.
    When I was searching through romance books a couple of weeks ago I discovered that the books are now labelled, eg: 'Sexy', 'Sweet'.  I purchased a 'sweet' one and could not believe the difference in writing.  The story was very eye-catching and I could not put it down.  It only had descriptions on lead up to sex so I found I could handle it.  I enjoyed it very much.
    Do you find 'Sexy' books can be too much for your liking?
    Alana
  • Alana, many of the types you found too descriptive were originally the American equivalent of Mills and Boon. They tended to be a little more 'sexual'compared to the English Mills and Boon.
    Now they are all part of the same group, and while they still have their own identities, there has been a slight modernisation of the M&B series.
    Some of the stand alone modern romances/historical fiction published in the states have very obvious sexual content within the story's context.
    I'm not bothered by it, but if I read a book where I found that content offensive, or too aggresive I would avoid that author's books.
  • Didn't M&B set up a saucier range of books under the Black Lace imprint?
  • No, Black Lace was another publisher entirely. One of the American Harlequin M&B series went to a more erotic branding- can't remember what the series is called, but I've only read a couple and they are too much sex for my reading tastes.
  • Was Black Lace Virgin?
  • Annie, Blaze was the one I couldn't remember.
    I admit that I get four of the M&B Modern Romances every month- have done for years.
    If you can get accepted by them they  pay well apparently.
    They may get sniggered at, but they are a very good example of how to show the character of your protagonists in a limited word count. To have a main plot and a small sub plot, and still come out with a satisfying ending.
    Many of their writers have gone on to be published by large romance publishers in the U.S. and their books sell in the thousands +.
    Look forward to  hearing your opinions Annie.
  • Consider this for a moment. The type of sex act taking place is highly reevant to the exact relationsip between characters. i see no problem in cmpletely graphic sex scenes, even clinical if it is one of a number of aspects showing relationships. One parter for instance beng more experienced may introduce the other to new techniques and this could have an effect on their response to oher situations
  • I agree with what you're saying Robert, it is relevant to the characters and how they develop, and what has occured in their back story.
    I think Alana's original comment shows that sex scenes (however relevant)still relate to wether the reader wants to see behind the bedroom doors, or would prefer to stay on the outside, and leave the rest to their imagination, or say that's the story end they live happy ever after.
    Genre, category romances give the reader the choice to some degree.
    It's a case of discovering which of the authors/series produce the type you prefer.
  • There seems to be a terror among some talkbackers about sex scenes. I find the nudge, nudge wink, wink approach too coy and too smutty. If two characters in a story are involved sexually a god honest rumpy pumpy scene is nothng to be afraid of. The danger of leaving it to the readers imagintion seems to me that their sexual preferences may well result in a mismatch between how they see the characters and how the author wishes to portray them
  • Do a Google for the Mills and Boon website.  They have an excellent site detailing all their imprints and lots of how to write for them info.
  • You can also read some stories online on their website. There is a list with a blurb on each, which is fun.