Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Named and Shamed

edited November 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I have just come from Amazon.co.uk, and I am so annoyed I've decided to name and shame the author.

This morning I read an article in Writers Forum about Daniel Boyle's (he wrote the screen plays of Rebus and Morse to name but a few) first novel which has been published through Print On Demand company Authorhouse.  It sounded like an okay book, and having recently bought a self-published book and thrilled with it, I decided to have a look.  I was expecting a high jacket price, so the £10.99 price wasn't that bad compared to the ordinary £6.99, and the delivery speed was better than the normal 4-6 weeks of a POD book, so I decided to buy it.  That was until I came across the review placed by a L. Boyle.  Okay, it may have been coincidence, but as it was the only review since September, and this was the culmination of this customer's reviews.  Okay, if I was going to get someone to review one of my books for me, I would at least get someone who I didn't share my surname with.  Suffice to say, I didn't buy the book.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?.
  • I'm not surprised that it was the only review since September. I've never put a review on Amazon (I tried once - 'I wish I'd written this book' - but it wasn't accepted.) And I expect that quite a lot of reviews are written by friends, if not actual relatives, of the author. I'm also suspicious of the welter of 5-star ratings. I'd only give the Grapes of Wrath of this world five stars.