Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sale

edited November 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hello all.  Haven't been here much lately as there seems to be so much to read on the site and I've been trying so hard to write, write, write.  This strategy is beginning to pay off as I've just sold a story to People's Friend.  It's my first success with them so I'm delighted.

The only blot on my pleasure was an old, old friend describing my little success as a 'piece of luck'.  Maybe he didn't mean it how it sounded, but I thought I sold the story because of years of working hard to find my own style and persisting in sending out stories despite rejections.  Luck?  Well, maybe I was lucky that it caught the editor's eye and was what she was looking for on that particular day.  Folk who don't write don't seem to realise how much it takes to produce those two thousand words on paper. 
  • I agree Lily. It's hard work and a little bit of luck supporting it.Congratulations. Let us know when it appears.
  • Fantastic news, Lily - go forth with confidence (that I can't always provide for myself!) while you're on this high.

There are always the spirit-robbers (jealous, got issues, wish had done more with THEIR dreams etc......) so ignore them and listen to your heart.
  • Great news, Lily. Tell us when it appears.
  • Not just luck Lily - you sold it because you wrote what they want.  Well done - hope you do many more.
  • Good on ya, Lily. 
  • Lily - Fantastic news! Don't be too hard on your friend - he meant well but the wrong words came out!!
  • Well done, Lily. I’m sure your friend meant well with his ‘piece of luck’ remark.

I think it was Cole Porter’s father (no doubt someone will correct me if it wasn’t) who said, when someone remarked how lucky Cole was to be making so much money from his talent : ‘Yes, the harder my boy works, the luckier he gets.’
  • Congratulations. I've tried and failed to get into People's Friend and failed time after time. This is wonderful. People who don't write just don't get it!
  • Aah, thanks everyone. 
  • Congratulations Lily! Hard work and peserverance have paid off. Well done.
  • Congratulations.  I define luck as the place where hard work meets opportunity.  Enjoy your success.
  • Congratulations Lily!
  • Congratulations, Lily!  People who've never tried
    to send a short story to a magazine, don't appreciate what an acceptance means.  Don't let them spoil your joy.  When I won a raffle prize, a friend remarked: "You're lucky!  I never win anything!"  I asked her if she buys raffle tickets and her reply  was: "No, because I never win!"                           
  • You ARE lucky, Lili. You're lucky you have the desire to write, lucky you have the inspiration, lucky you know how to persist and lucky you have talent. Many, many congrats from me. Lucky Lili - has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
  • Congratulations!  People who don't write have no idea of the competition to be published in PF and the other women's magazines.
  • Congratulations Lily!
  • Many congratulations Lily!
  • Well done, Lily.  Ignore your friend, we all know what an achievement this is.

It reminds me of people who say to me 'Oh, you're so lucky you don't have to commute' (I live in London) or 'You're so lucky to work shorter hours' - no, luck had nothing to do with it.  I've always sought local jobs, accepting the lower pay for a better quality of life.  Now, as well as working locally, I work shorter hours, again with a much lower salary, so that I can write - we make our own 'luck'...and it doesn't come without sacrifices (having any spare cash being one in my case! - working blooming hard on your story, when you could have slobbed out in front of the TV, in your case).

Enjoy your success, Lily, and know that you deserve it.
  • Well done Lily, what fantastic news. Never mind about your friend, we all know how hard it is to get into People's Friend.  You've done SO well!  Enjoy it.