Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in December's magazines?

edited November 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in December's magazines?
  • I thought I would be, but I'm not. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your story in the magazine (Writers News) once you've been told you've won the competition? Any ideas?
  • I made it onto the short list for the WN 'Road Rage' competition. It's only the third time I've entered, so I'm quite chuffed.
  • Well quite a few of us actually. In WN(p9)Appeal of History. Tracyshep's request of any suggestions for magazines taking historical articles, featured the replies of Dorothy,Anyanka,Evaine and myself.
    In the Words from the WN Website, we have comments from Megrose,me,Tessa Tangent,Vijay,Nenastew5 and Courierjohn.
  • Congratulation montholon.
  • A letter I sent to Writing Magazine is in this month's issue, under the title of 'Good old days?' I think that's what it says anyway. It's about showing and telling etc.
  • Thank you all for the congratulations.  I'm off to bed in a warm glow - and an electric blanket!
  • Well done, Montholon. Must be a lovely feeling!
  • Well done Montholon, a great achievement. Congratulations to all who are mentioned.
  • I've been haunting various newsagents for October's WM, the wait is painful.
  • At least Kangeroo you know what to look for when you do get it.
    Congratulations to everyone in the December issue.
  • Nenastew and Kangaroo, I have a subscription and although it's not delivered as early (obviously) as it is in the UK, I always receive my copies about mid-month. Overseas subscribers (us) get both WM and WN as a set package but I couldn't ever give up either one now.
  • Schumi - I think the view you express in your letter is right. Too much showing can become contrived, with people telling others what they already know. A balance is better!

By the way, re the photograph next to your letter - what is it supposed to be illustrating? Not showing or telling. More like looking!
  • I'm on page ten!  The Mr Spock reference made me laugh, so I had to write in again :o)
  • Well done everyone!
  • Maybe all this will encourage more people to join in Talkback.
  • Well done one and all.
  • Might as well admit to being on page 11. Haven't done much writing for a while and am out of practice, so practiced by writing a letter to WM about my lack of practice. Am I going round in circles?
  • John McG - Sounds as though you've got a theme for a story there!
  • I've not come to Talkback for a couple of days, so I started a new thread about December WN/WM before I read this one. Well done everyone! What would the editors do without us?
  • I was on the shortlist for the Bravery story (for those whose haven't see the post on Successes). Didn't even know about it, so that was a nice surprise. Plus it makes this year my most successful writing year yet! (okay so one review and one shortlist are hardly up there with winning the Booker prize, but hey, from dem small acorns...) Congrats to everyone else listed/mentioned/published in the mag.
  • Hurrah to everyone in there this month!  Great news indeed.  Go forth and multiply - wish I could follow my own advice at times!  You are all encouraging me to finally, after all these years - since '91 - to send something in.
    IG's right; go and subscribe Kanga and Nena, please, please!  It's horrible that you are always hanging around down there!
    I am listening to Bliss (blissfulmusic.com) - good for patience, peace and brilliant lyrics.  It's the first album I bought of theirs (they've gone a bit commercial lately but that's the way of the world) but cannot recommend enough when frustrated or fed up :O) TTxx
  • Sorry, correction.  Last published in 95 but have subscribed, I believe, since 91.  Right, got to prove I'm worth that now.  Great incentive, that reminder.
  • I listen to R.E.M. or Roxette when I'm in a good mood. Otherwise I don't listen to much at all.
  • In a good mood I can listen to a lot of different stuff - folk, rock, folk-rock, opera, heavy rock (do you see a pattern forming here?)...  Loads of stuff, though I have to say, I think the fiddle/violin is the most beautiful instrument, as well as the Erhu (pronounced Ar-hou, with a rounded 'r') - the two-stringed Chinese version.

In a really bad mood, the Cradle of Filth comes out.