Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A moan

edited November 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• For Theatre Studies I have to gather a number of plays and read them. Both classic and modern. Most of the modern plays I have read so far are, in my view, appalling. Teenage pregnancy's, drugs, drink, sex and anything featured in eastenders. Soaps are soaps but I was appalled to find that the theatre is producing these soaplike plays. Where's the political plays, the feminist plays, the plays that make you think. Does every word have to be a swear word? Where have the plots gone? I understand that they are trying to relate to people but once you've seen it once, you've seen it. Where has quality gone? However, I am making broad assumptions and will be going to see a number of plays both classic and modern and see if I am, in fact, wrong.

Oh and have you heard about 'Henry Tumour'? And they wonder why children are swearing and having underage sex?

Sorry about the extra long moan!
  • I agree.  I don't think its a moan, just that a lot of the modern plays we have now all seem to be trying to make a political statement or parody society - where has the escapism gone?  Maybe this is one of the reasons 'The Mousetrap' has being going for so long!
  • The fact that it is pure escapism I mean....
  • Can't remember where I saw it today, but some actor was saying exactly the same, and bemoaning the lack of good plays, good writing etc.
  • Good to know I'm not the only one then!

The thing I'm worried about is what happens to the people out there who are writing quality plays. They are being pushed aside. Should a playwright change and write these soaplike plays if they are the only ones which get performed?

I ask every playwright who writes plays which have a theme or a plot, or even a decent character, keep going!!! Don't change!!! Bring quality back to theatres!
  • What's wrong with Henry Tumour?
  • Ok so maybe I was little harsh... things are not that bad...

I read a play by Timberlake Wertenbaker which highlighted how a corrupt society influences an individual who then, in turn, corrupts the society. Just a random comment but it makes my point better than I can.