Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Success...of a sort!

edited November 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Got my story back from 'People's Friend' today, but this time they had commented on it!   This is only the second story I have submitted to them, so I'm feeling pretty pleased about this, as the first one came back with just a complement slip.   Apparently they felt that the ending was too predictable.   At the moment the couple in the story have married, but I thought I would make it more open - finishing the story with the POSSIBILITY of them getting together in their old age.   So, firstly, does this sound more 'unpredictable'?   And, secondly, if I re-write the ending, would you recommend I re-submit it?   Or would it be better to send it somewhere else?   It's set at Christmas time, which limits it I know.
  • Resubmit it to People's Friend?  Doesn't that depend on what they'd said in their comments?  Well done for getting this far with your story and good luck for the future.

By the way, did you read a story in there recently about a woman who went to the theatre and sat beside some single guy?  That is one of the most enjoyable stories I have read in ages.
  • Getting some feedback from PF instead of just the usual compliment slip is an achievement in itself. Well done! However, as the fiction editor has not suggested that you revise your story and resubmit, my feeling is that you should try elsewhere.  You could always wait a few months and then send it in time for Christmas 2007.
  • Usually the comments are a good sign that it has potential. Give it time to consider and then when you're happy with your changes re-submit it, and make sure you mention that they have seen it before and they made a suggestion which you've acted on and are re-submitting it for them to consider again.
  • Thanks all.  I've spent some time today re-writing the end, but, as Christmas stories have to be in at least 3 months in advance, I'm now going to put it away and look at it again for Christmas 2007.  Thanks for your help.
  • well done megrose,'a near miss' isn't far off a 'hit' - don't forget to put a note in your diary/PC/calendar to resubmit around beginning of August.  I always seem to rediscover my 'festive' tales around now when it's too late to do anything much with them for another year.  Note to self: must practise what I preach...
  • Hi Dora,
    Yes, I read that story in the PF and would have to agree with you. I really did enjoy reading it.
  • Well done on getting a comment on your story.
  • Slightly off topic, but does this advice re sending Christmas stuff off at the beginning of August apply to both weeklies and monthlies alike? Thanks.

Apologies to Megrose for hijacking her thread.

Well done all the same, Megrose. Many people would give their right arm for a near miss.
  • Thank you all for your kind comments, and no worries about hijacking the thread, Neil.  I've taken your advice, doodleysquit, and made a note to get the story up and running again for next August.  Knowing that they read it and actually took the trouble to comment on it, certainly takes the edge off the rejection.  Right - on to the next one!
  • They could be working at different time scales. Weeklies are usually minimum three months ahead, but I would have thought it would depend on what type of monthly magazine it is. Some could be working further ahead than that.
    Anyone know from experience?
  • Thanks. Would still like to hear more from those in the know.