Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

*Ghost *books on Amazon

edited October 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• No it's nothing to do with Hallowean, but you should find it interesting, and do look at the comments at the end of the article- made me smile.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1933823,00.html
  • What a strange story! In this case it sounds like "the biter bit"!!
  • Makes you wonder how many ghost books there are?
    Anyone else come across this phenomena?
  • Thanks for that link; fascinating! I already knew not to trust the readers' reviews on Amazon (they are often written by the book's author, esp if self-publishing) but this takes it another step further.
  • Maybe this is the place to list all the books I thought of writing!
  • Why not, go ahead. Everyone can join in.
  • Having read the article I reckon it refers to the books he's currently writing.

The reason I say that is that Iain Banks new book is listed on Amazon already, but it not due out until Sept. next year. During this time, knowing something of the way Banks works, the title and story could completely change, and so presumably would the entry on Amazon once the book hit's the publishers list "proper".

In short, it's a pre-publication entry, probably designed by publishers to drum up a few hundred advanced sales.
  • As I understood it, it was a book that had been discussed with the publisher, slightly different title but generally same subject. But it wasn't actually done, but as these things occur in publishing- pre publication publicity for advance sales months before the book is released.
    But as I read it, this book doesn't exist at all.