Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Little Britain

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi all!
    It's been a while. Have been reading a few threads though...just not posted for a time.
    But was in London recently. Main reason: to see Little Britain Live. Turned out to be the most horrible show I ever saw...so I immediately sent a review to BBC website and posted a review.
    And..phew...they put it on their website. So VICTORY for an EX-little britain fan.
    Ciao!

Fleur
  • Hallo again Fleur!

What made the show so bad that you stopped being a fan?
  • Good on you Fleur. Congratulations on your reviews.
  • Congratulations Fleur!
  • I think this is a problem when tv shows go on the road, they just don't often transfer well alot of the time.  Its alot like trying to turn books into films, it very rarely works.
  • TV shows often suffer when translated to the stage. The biggest mess I ever saw was French & Saunders live. I'd have walked out if I hadn't been asleep.
  • Well done, Fleur. It's a shame the show merited a bad review, though.
  • What made it such a bad show?? Well...in a nutshell: everything! On TV you have the advantage of visual effects which can make you laugh...this was only 2 people (or sometimes 4) doing sketches on stage. You have to be really funny to get away with that I think. Someone naked on the stage is not my idea of fun...unfortunately a lot of people thought it was hilarious. And sorry to say, you could tell that they had done the show numerous times before. But but but...we really enjoyed our trip to London! Had dinner in a fabulous Indian restaurant near Charing Cross Road. Wonderful..and worth every penny!!
  • Well done on getting the review published - every cloud has a silver lining, eh?

As one of the 4 people in Great Britain who can't stand Little Britain (my boyfriend is another - who are the other two? - anyone else care to own up?), I took a certain delight in hearing they have fallen off their pedestal, at least in your eyes - though I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Talking of naked people on stage - anyone else see 'Lenny' (about Lenny Bruce) with Eddie Izzard, many years ago?  Started and ended with him naked - I love Eddie Izzard's comedy (or his old stuff anyway), but seeing him naked twice was two times more than I'd have liked for one lifetime.  And I'd gone to see the show with a male friend - I didn't quite know what to do with myself and I don't think he did either. 
  • Fleur, I've just remembered you're Dutch, so I'm very sorry you came such a long way, only to be so disappointed by the show.  And so it appears there are possibly only 4 of us non-believers in the world - I didn't realise Little Britain had achieved world domination...
  • Many congratulations, Fleur!!