Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WM and WN back issues.

edited October 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• I have just consigned my 1997 WMs to recycling, but have saved the articles that I will review at a later date. I keep two box files of them full at anyone time. The format then was not user friendly because you had to jump a few pages to finish an article. The latest revamp is a lot better. Do other talkbackers keep all their back issues?
  • I have my back issues, but am running out of room, so must select and dispose of the oldest soon.
  • I was wondering earlier today whether libaries want this sort of thing - perhaps for their book groups. Or Adult Education places for creative writing.
  • Never thought of that Jay; good idea!
  • I've been thinking about this myself. I have quite a few WN & WM from about 10 years ago. I was going to list them up and offer them on here if anybody wanted them. Obviously, a lot of the info will be out of date but they might make an interesting read. If not, I'll try anywhere that may be interested before they go on ebay. Hopefully, someone will get some more use from them before they go into the recycling box.
  • Our local Library said they didn't have room any more for a table to read magazines and newspapers.  They were clogged with computer desks.
  • Freecycle is great - as Amboline says - and if you're in the UK the chances are there'll be a Freecycle group near you. I believe Freecycle is international as well. On similar lines, you could try the most excellent www.free2collect.co.uk and www.gumtree.co.uk

For anyone not familiar with them, these are free-to-join website communities where people can offer and find items for FREE - all you need to do is collect. These websites offer a great way to find a new home for things that you no longer want that might be useful to someone else, and of course the chance of finding something that you need at no cost.

The range of stuff available for free is mind boggling - everything from baby clothes and pet food to domestic appliances and horse manure!
  • Thanks. I'd never heard of freecycle. Sounds like a great idea. I shall have a look and start digging through the piles of old magazines I have :-)
  • I only keep the latest few issues of WN and WM and give the rest away, either to people in my writing group or to charity shops.
  • After our local Library push-off, my husband tried Oxfam.  They said, "We don't take magazines."  Pity, because I am so careful with them, that even after two readings, they are still unscathed.
    But there is another charity shop in our posh little town.
  • Patty, it may be something to do with magazines not selling very well. Perhaps you shoould try a free-ad in the local paper.
  • People attending local creative writing groups would probably love to have your magazines.
  • Some good ideas there! I will have a look at that 'freecycle' soon. The cuttings, I kept, have been filed away into one of the A-Z folders Tessa mentions. I can now pull them out and read them as if they are worksheets. I have just read an article on historical fiction that appeared in a '97' issue of WM, still relevant today as it was then.
  • Jay - Afraid not! It was me. I forgot to check my log in name.
  • I think WN/WM should think about putting back issues onto CD.  Other magazines offer this service (MacWorld offers a CD per year with all the articles from the 12 issues on it).  This would cut down on my pile of mags anyway.  Webbo, any thoughts??