Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Forget the bursary

edited September 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Those who have applied for that bursary offered by that medical documents company, forget it, I just received a letter today saying it was cancelled, used a rather lame excuse to do with difficulties issuing the bursary -  a load of horlicks is the better description. I think they were more likely testing the response than actually seriously offering a bursary - a bit like people who test the housing market by putting their house up for sale then when they get a response, take it off - called a form of gazumping. Perhaps something the government can look at, people who welch and gazump on aspiring writers.
  • Some months ago our Writers Group received the info on this, and I thought it was a possible scam, so didn't keep it.
  • I wrote to the editor, a long letter about this, suggesting that perhaps a little more circumspection might be in order now as I think these people are getting far too clever and sophisticated. It is now a case of keeping a step ahead of the rogues. The trouble is that it looked so convincing.  I stressed in my letter that there must have been many like myself, taken in by this plausible competition. They are wicked these people and I hope the police soon latch on to them - it was a dirty mean trick to play aspiring authors. In fact I am considering sending an email to two of the correspondence writing colleges to reinforce the need now for students to be very wary. 
  • Oh, not another rotten scam! Well done Tomboy on taking action. Our only defence against these scams seems to be to act quickly and pass on information to other writers, but it's so disappointing to hear of another attempt to raise false hopes and try and steal from us. I hope they all end up in gaol.
  • Dear Tilly & everyone else
    Received an email as well as note from the editor. In the email, it seems that WN were just as displeased, referring also to the debate in the Talkback so he has taken on board, the general fury and disappointment, promising to be ever more vigilant.  I think that the 'organization who instigated it, should be named and shamed in the media. It might serve as a warning to anyone else attempting the same game. I think that this is as good as time to seal the chapter on this saga, learn from bitter experience and be extra cynical and vigilant ourselves as well.
  • Is there already a website warning writers of who NOT to get involved with?
  • There are a couple - I think they're mentioned somewhere on Talkback. If you can't track them down, just shout.